[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 400K Floppies

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Pete Fales) (10/18/87)

In article <1987Oct16.235254.16620@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, dtinker@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Prof. David Tinker) writes:

 > In Article 7799 of comp.sys.ibm.pc, broman@cod.UUCP (Vincent P. Broman) says:
 >
 > > Does anyone know how to format floppies to a size of 400K?
 >
 > Hey Presto!  Enclosed is a utility called JFORMAT, which formats floppies in
 > practically any format you like: doublesided/singlesided, 8/9/10 sectors,
 > 512/1024 bytes/sector, supports high density/quad density drives, etc. etc.
 > This was downloaded from a local BBS, so as always, no guarantees of any kind,
 > caveat emptor, you're on your own, and so on, but I had no problem formatting
 > a 401K ds/dd floppy, which passed chkdsk and read/write tests.  Amazing!

I also downloaded this program from a local BBS and found it seemed to
work as advertised.  However, hidden within the JFORMAT program (apparently
zapped) and not hidden in the device driver were a serial number and
a copyright notice by Tall-Tree Systems.  Perhaps this software should
not be distributed on Usenet unless the copyright status could be made
clear.
--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

ignatz@chinet.UUCP (Dave Ihnat) (10/19/87)

If there is, indeed a copyright notice *and serial number* in any of
the files in this 'JFORMAT' package, perhaps Tall-Tree should be
informed?  (That is, of course, if anyone knows where they are...)
--
			Dave Ihnat
			ihnp4!homebru!ignatz || ihnp4!chinet!ignatz

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (10/19/87)

In article <1987Oct16.235254.16620@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> dtinker@utgpu.UUCP writes:
>Hey Presto!  Enclosed is a utility called JFORMAT, which formats floppies in
>practically any format you like

Cancel that posting, and pronto!  JFORMAT is a commercial piece of software
from Talltree, the folk who make the JRAM expansion boards and the JLASER
LaserJet enhancer.  This is ABSOLUTELY a pirated program, no doubt about
it.

--
----------------
Michael J. Farren      "... if the church put in half the time on covetousness

cds@atelabs.UUCP (David Shanks) (10/20/87)

In article <1987Oct16.235254.16620@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> dtinker@utgpu.UUCP writes:
>Hey Presto!  Enclosed is a utility called JFORMAT, ...
>This was downloaded from a local BBS,

Please note that this software is copyrighted by Tall Tree Systems.  You can
confirm this by searching through the binaries for the string opyright (I
don't remember whether the 'c' is capitalized or not).  It is illegal to
post copyrighted software to the net.  The fact that you picked it up from a
BBS does not alter the legality of your action.
--
Dave Shanks                     ..!tektronix!tessi!atelabs!cds
AT&E Laboratories               cds@atelabs.UUCP