[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CMS Drives

cline@leadsv.UUCP (Ed Cline) (10/14/87)

I saw in an ad recently a name I hadn't seen before in the Macintosh Hard-disk
drive suppliers list: CMS drives. Has anybody heard of them? How is the
drive? They are specially designed for portability (100g shock rating)
with a fold away handle, etc. They claim to have been a major supplier of
drives to the PC side of the computing world.

I would appreciate it if anyone who knows about the company or these set
of Macintosh drives by CMS, I would appreciate your comments ASAP as I
plan on ordering within a week. Either email or follow-up, but I would
prefer email. :-)

Thanks in advance.
--
Edward A. Cline				Voice: (408) 756-4876
Lockheed Missiles & Space Co.		( cline@leadsv.UUCP )

mike@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) (10/15/87)

We purchased a CMS drive at the recommendation of our local
PC distributor, SD DOS. We never did get it work, but, of
course, there "was nothing wrong with the drive." I really
think you would be better off looking around some more.

--
Michael Lodman  (619) 485-3335
Advanced Development NCR Corporation E&M San Diego

When you die, if you've been very, very good, you'll go to ... Montana.

cm450s02@uhccux.UUCP (jeff t. segawa) (10/16/87)

I've owned a 20 meg SCSI Mac drive by CMS, and have had no problems with it.
I've used this drive on both my old Mac Plus and Mac II without incident.
Support has been OK. Charles McConathy of CMS is a regular on CompuServe
(MAUG, in particular), and he's sent me literature, answered questions and
sent me free software updates in the past. My next drive (probably an 80
meg internal) will almost certainly be a CMS.

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (10/18/87)

In article <1782@leadsv.UUCP>, cline@leadsv.UUCP (Ed Cline) writes:

> I saw in an ad recently a name I hadn't seen before in the Macintosh Hard-disk
> drive suppliers list: CMS drives. Has anybody heard of them? How is the
> drive?

I have purchased CMS drives for IBM PC-AT equipment.  CMS,
apparently, buys disks from Seagate, Miniscribe, and Rodime and
packages them with controller, cables, and a diskette containing a
menu-driven low-level formatter program.  I don't think they make a
disk drive, but they sell a convenient kit built around other
people's disks.
--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		A node for news.

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (10/19/87)

CMS sells an 80 Mb internal for the Mac II that uses a Quantum.
That's the same spindle as in Apple's HD-80SC, which makes
me think it might be A/UX compatible.  My understanding
is that A/UX does run on both the Apple and Jasmine 80, both
of which use the Quantum.
--
	Joel West  (c/o UCSD)
	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083

jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) (10/20/87)

>I have purchased CMS drives for IBM PC-AT equipment.  CMS,
>apparently, buys disks from Seagate, Miniscribe, and Rodime and
>--
>Dave Levenson
>{rutgers | clyde | mtune | ihnp4}!westmark!dave

Dave,
This is nothing new. Everex does this as well with mostly Seagate drives
and WD controllers. They include a nice little kit that has a diskette
and AT rails with screws and a manual.

I suspect that there are probably others besides CMS and Everex doing this
as well.

Aloha,

Jonathan Spangler
UUCP:         {ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons
OPUS/FIDONET: Sysop@(12/6) HTCS BBS (808)531-2659, 24 hrs., Honolulu
--

dennisg@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Dennis Grittner) (10/21/87)

In article <4127@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) writes:
>CMS sells an 80 Mb internal for the Mac II that uses a Quantum.
>That's the same spindle as in Apple's HD-80SC, which makes
>me think it might be A/UX compatible.

I have a CMS 80 and I don't really know about A/UX but you have
to use a different driver with regular Mac software - the Apple
one won't work and I'm waiting for a ROM upgrade ( that I guess
I'll be paying for ) to take advantage of the Mac II speed. In
the meantime I'm running a disk set up for a Mac Plus (
apparently slow interleave ).

I don't know where to point finger(s)  ( dealer? CMS ?Apple? ) but I do
know that early CMS 80's like mine had a few problems working
correctly in a Mac II. I would be pretty leeeeery about running a
CMS 80 with A/UX untill I knew more.

--
Dennis Grittner		City of Saint Paul, Minnesota
(612) 298-4402		Room 700, 25 W. 4th St. 55102