[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 3 1/2 Disk Drive for XT

boneill@hawk.CS.ULowell.Edu (Phred) (10/15/87)

  Does anyone know where I can get a 3 1/2" Disk Drive for a PC/XT

compatible?? Would a Tandy (God forbid) be compatible with my standard

disk controller??

					      Brian O'Neill
					      University of Lowell
					      Computer Science Department

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (10/19/87)

In article <1847@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu>, boneill@hawk.CS.ULowell.Edu (Phred) writes:

>   Does anyone know where I can get a 3 1/2" Disk Drive for a PC/XT
>
> compatible?? Would a Tandy (God forbid) be compatible with my standard
>
> disk controller??

I installed a Toshiba 31/2" disk in a PC's Limited Turbo XT clone.  I removed one
of the 5 1/4" disks and inserted the 3 1/2" in its place.  No special technical
skill were needed as the instructions were clear and all kinds of mounting
adapters and faceplates were included.  You'll need DOS 3.2.

By the way, I bought the disk from Olden Computer (a/k/a Olden Camera) on
6th Avenue in New York City.  They also do mail order; look in one of the
PC mags for an ad.  The price was around $120.

	Evan Bauman
	Univ. of Notre Dame
	..!iuvax!ndcheg!evan

jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) (10/20/87)

In article <1847@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> boneill@hawk.cs.ulowell.edu (Phred) writes:

>  Does anyone know where I can get a 3 1/2" Disk Drive for a PC/XT

If I were you, I'd look at the Toshiba drive. One of the things I like
about the drive is that you can install it in an XT, and AT, a Compaq -- just
about all major machines you can think of. It is probably also the most
widely available drive.

Caution: if you have an XT, and if you have PC-DOC 3.2, you may *still* need
to place a DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS /D:n /F:2 in your CONFIG.SYS, where n = physical
location of drive. 0=A, 1=B, etc.

Aloha,

Jonathan Spangler
UUCP:         {ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons
OPUS/FIDONET: Sysop@(12/6) HTCS BBS (808)531-2659, 24 hrs., Honolulu
--

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (10/22/87)

In article <1847@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu>, boneill@hawk.CS.ULowell.Edu (Phred) writes:

>   Does anyone know where I can get a 3 1/2" Disk Drive for a PC/XT
>
> compatible?? Would a Tandy (God forbid) be compatible with my standard
>
> disk controller??

Toshiba makes a drive that is sold by most good computer supply
vendors that you should be able to use.  It comes with a kit
for installing it into an XT or AT (don't use it in an AT, try a NEC).
The directions are very easy to follow.  The cost will be anywhere
between $110 and $140 per kit.  The number is the ND352.