[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Adding a HD to Compaq 386

scott@helium.UUCP (Scott Hazen Mueller) (10/22/87)

The 40M hard disk on my Compaq 386 is starting to feel a bit small, especially
as I'm considering making the system available for multiple users (under Unix+
DosMerge/386) in the forseeable future.  Has anyone with a Compaq successfully
added a 3rd-party hard drive to it?  Just to forestall the inevitable answers
from PC/AT people who've never been inside a Compaq - it doesn't appear to
have a standard (ST412?/506) controller and connectors.  I know that Compaq
sells an upgrade; I also know that manufacturers tend to be the highest-cost
source of upgrades...

Thanks for any help.  Please mail to me; if there is interest, I'll post
a summary.

          \scott
--
Scott Hazen Mueller   City of Turlock    901 S. Walnut Rd.  Turlock CA 95380
(209) 668-5590        lll-crg!csustan!helium!scott   uunet!zorch!helium!scott

jamesa@amadeus.TEK.COM (James Akiyama) (10/23/87)

In article <225@helium.UUCP>, scott@helium.UUCP (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
> The 40M hard disk on my Compaq 386 is starting to feel a bit small, especially
> as I'm considering making the system available for multiple users (under Unix+
> DosMerge/386) in the forseeable future.  Has anyone with a Compaq successfully
> added a 3rd-party hard drive to it?  Just to forestall the inevitable answers
> from PC/AT people who've never been inside a Compaq - it doesn't appear to
> have a standard (ST412?/506) controller and connectors.  I know that Compaq
> sells an upgrade; I also know that manufacturers tend to be the highest-cost
> source of upgrades...
>
> Thanks for any help.  Please mail to me; if there is interest, I'll post
> a summary.
>
>           \scott
> --
> Scott Hazen Mueller   City of Turlock    901 S. Walnut Rd.  Turlock CA 95380
> (209) 668-5590        lll-crg!csustan!helium!scott   uunet!zorch!helium!scott

I'm not exactly sure what Compaq does on their 386 but I do have experience
with their 286 machines.  These include a 40-pin connector.  Note that SCSI
is 50-pins, while ST506 is 34-pins (plus a 20-pin).  The 40-pin connector is
actually a pseudo AT bus--Compaq builds the actual Winchester controller into
the drive.  The pinout for the connector is:

	PIN 1		-RESET
	PIN 2		GND
	PIN 3-18	+HOST DATA
	PIN 19		GND
	PIN 20		KEY (not used)
	PIN 21		RESERVED
	PIN 22		GND
	PIN 23		-HOST IOW
	PIN 24		GND
	PIN 25		-HOST IOR
	PIN 26		GND
	PIN 27		RESERVED
	PIN 28		+HOST ALE
	PIN 29		RESERVED
	PIN 30		GND
	PIN 31		+HOST IRQ14
	PIN 32		-HOST IO16
	PIN 33		+HOST ADDR 1
	PIN 34		GND
	PIN 35		+HOST ADDR 0
	PIN 36		+HOST ADDR 2
	PIN 37		-HOST CS0
	PIN 38		-HOST CS1
	PIN 39		-HOST SLV/ACT
	PIN 40		GND

Note that this pin configuration is used by several "AT" drive manufacturers
including Conners Peripherals, and the Compaq modified Miniscribe drives.  It
is also available as a Western Digital WD1003-IDX (I think the numbers right)
controller.

Probably the best way to change drives is to get another Fixed Disk Controller
(assuming you don't want to use Compaq).  Western Digital makes a series of
"AT" controller (they also manufacture IBM's controller); check the WD1003
series; WD1005; and WD1006 controllers.  You can also look at Adaptec and
others.  Good luck!

James Akiyama
Tektronix, Inc.