[comp.sys.ibm.pc] More Procomm Problems

mhnadel@gryphon.CTS.COM (Miriam Nadel) (10/02/87)

In attempting to get rid of some of the numerous communication packages we
have on our AT, we've decided that we would keep just Procomm, provided we
can use it with everything we need to.  We have no trouble as far as
2 of our mainframes but we're running into problems when trying to use
Kermit to transfer files to/from an IBM 3090 (running MVS/TSO).  We managed
to communicate with the mainframe (by turning on the translate table to
get rid of extended ascii characters) but we can't get kermit to do anything.
The kermit on the mainframe doesn't have a server mode so we've been using the
upload and download menus.  I suspect the problem is eighth bit quoting but
I have no idea how to turn it off.

We also need to know how we could transfer files to/from systems that don't
have any communications protocols available.  Currently we've been using the
"screen capture" mode of Mirror to do this.  Is there a way to do this with
Procomm - e.g. can the "ascii" option on the up/download menus do it and how
does that work?  Alternatively, has anybody used the new version of Mirror,
which claims to have kermit available?

Please reply by mail.

Miriam Nadel
--
"Was Hans Christian Andersen ever risque?" - Stephen Sondheim
INTERNET:     mhnadel@gryphon.CTS.COM

tommy@ssds.UUCP (Tommy Phillips) (10/06/87)

Hi-
	Is anyone out there using Procomm on an AT (clone) to use CompuServe?
I seem to be having trouble with it...
	I try to download using XMODEM in RELAXED mode and I get timeouts
until Procomm gives up.  This is using up my time, money and patience.  I
try using Procomm's CompuServe B protocol and the only thing I can do to
regain control of my machine is break the session.
	Am I missing something?  I have tried to find some setting I've
missed by snooping around the GO TERMINAL screen, but no luck.  I suspect it's
my fault; I was never able to get XMODEM to work with my Tandy 600 either.
	Any ideas are welcome.

			Thank you.

--
Tommy Phillips
{hao,nbires}!isis!ssds!tommy

creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (10/07/87)

> /* Written  6:44 pm  Oct  5, 1987 by tommy@ssds in silver:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
> 	I try to download using XMODEM in RELAXED mode and I get timeouts
> until Procomm gives up.  This is using up my time, money and patience.  I
> try using Procomm's CompuServe B protocol and the only thing I can do to
> regain control of my machine is break the session.

   This may be too obvious, but are you sure you have the correct parity
and data bits? Sometimes if these are wrong it can still look just fine
for text output, but will cause a file transfer protocol to hang.
   BTW, I don't use Compuserve. This could apply to any service you're
connecting to. (I do have ProComm, though.)
-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
Steve Creps on the VAX 8650 running Ultrix 2.0-1 at Indiana University.
	creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
"Go tell your master we are on a quest for the Holy Grail!"
"Well... I dunno... I think he's already got one."

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (10/09/87)

I use PROCOMM to access CompuServe and have been successfully using
the XMODEM protocol to download files.  The version of PROCOMM I
have been using is 2.4.1.  I have had no luck using the
CompuServe B protocol and have also found no way to get back other
than to hang up and dial in again.  I have noticed that the .NEW
file in the PROCOMM package cites Compuserve B fixes in 2.4.1 and
2.4.2, but the problems I have seem so severe that "fixes" seems
an understatement of what it needs.

gardner@kodak.UUCP (dick gardner) (10/09/87)

In article <239@ssds.UUCP> tommy@ssds.UUCP (Tommy Phillips) writes:
>Hi-
>	Is anyone out there using Procomm on an AT (clone) to use CompuServe?
>I seem to be having trouble with it...
>	I try to download using XMODEM in RELAXED mode and I get timeouts
>until Procomm gives up.  This is using up my time, money and patience.  I
>try using Procomm's CompuServe B protocol and the only thing I can do to
>regain control of my machine is break the session.
>

>--
Tried to send this via e-mail, but the mailer barfed on the address

Tommy-
	I had the same problem using a Microcom 2400 modem on Compuserve.
At home I had used Procomm without any trouble on Racal-Vadic 1200 baud
modem (dumb-not Hayes compatible) and Xmodem worked OK.  But at work
with the Hayes-compatible Microcom I had trouble.

It really drove me nuts until I discovered that I had configured the modem
for Xon/Xoff protocol.  The modem allows using it on the telephone side, on
the serial side, and/or passing it thru.  I forget how it was in my case,
but I eliminated it altogether and my problem went away.

Hope this is helpful.

=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#
   Dick Gardner -- Eastman Kodak Co.  Rochester, New York  14650
                   Phone: (716) 477-1002
                   UUCP: {allegra,rutgers}!rochester!kodak!gardner
  "Oh yeah?!? Well, MY computer is SOOOOO FAST, it executes an infinite
     						loop in 6 seconds!!!"
=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

hollen@mana.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (10/14/87)

In article <4330006@hpindda.HP.COM> hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) writes:
>I use PROCOMM to access CompuServe and have been successfully using
>the XMODEM protocol to download files.  The version of PROCOMM I
>have been using is 2.4.1.  I have had no luck using the
>CompuServe B protocol and have also found no way to get back other
>than to hang up and dial in again.  I have noticed that the .NEW
>file in the PROCOMM package cites Compuserve B fixes in 2.4.1 and
>2.4.2, but the problems I have seem so severe that "fixes" seems
>an understatement of what it needs.

Are you just complaining or are you asking for help?  You never say.
If you are asking for help, are you a registered user?  If you are, call
up the registered user BBS and download yourself 2.4.2 and see if it
fixes your problem.  If you are not a registered user, either register or
quit complaining!  I am sure other registered users would be happy to
help you with a work-around if they have it, but try going to the source
first, they are helpful and much more knowledgeable than any of us about
the package they wrote.  Also, they deserve to have you register.
	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121
			    ames!scubed!
		{sdcsvax,hplabs}!hp-sdd!megatek!hollen
			 sdcsvax!esosun!

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (10/17/87)

:
:Are you just complaining or are you asking for help?  You never say.
:If you are asking for help, are you a registered user?  If you are, call
:up the registered user BBS and download yourself 2.4.2 and see if it
:fixes your problem.  If you are not a registered user, either register or
:quit complaining!  I am sure other registered users would be happy to
:help you with a work-around if they have it, but try going to the source
:first, they are helpful and much more knowledgeable than any of us about
:the package they wrote.  Also, they deserve to have you register.

The traditional "shareware ethic" is for one to pay for it after it has
been verified as reasonably functional.  As a reward for registration,
the user gets better support, better documentation, extra features, and
a clear conscience.  I don't think it fair to insist users register in
the hope of getting bugs fixed, especially well known bugs.

I certainly wouldn't suggest that a potential customer who had identified a
major bug in ZCOMM's file transfer protocol support code register his copy
before fixing the bug.  (Especially since reliable file transfers is the
cornerstone of Omen's corporate image)

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX Author of Pro-YAM communications Tools for PCDOS and Unix
...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf  Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V Northwest Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231  VOICE:503-621-3406:VOICE
    TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746 19200/2400/1200  CIS:70007,2304  Genie:CAF
  omen Any ACU 2400 1-503-621-3746 se:--se: link ord: Giznoid in:--in: uucp
  omen!/usr/spool/uucppublic/FILES lists all uucp-able files, updated hourly

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (10/20/87)

>Are you just complaining or are you asking for help?  You never say.
>If you are asking for help, are you a registered user?  If you are, call
>up the registered user BBS and download yourself 2.4.2 and see if it
>fixes your problem.  If you are not a registered user, either register or
>quit complaining!  I am sure other registered users would be happy to
>help you with a work-around if they have it, but try going to the source
>first, they are helpful and much more knowledgeable than any of us about
>the package they wrote.  Also, they deserve to have you register.
>  Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
>  Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

Calm down.  I am neither complaining nor asking for help.  I was
merely sharing information with a previous note poster who had
mentioned having a problem with the Compuserve B protocol and
PROCOMM.  I had a similar problem.  Using XMODEM for downloads
from Compuserve is perfectly satisfactory.

Though the "register or quit complaining!" flame is perfectly
irrelevant to this topic, I'll note here that I am not YET a
registered user for a very simple reason.  About a month ago
I obtained copies of both PROCOMM and QMODEM, and am in the
process of comparing them.  By the end of this month, one of
them will get my money.  It is my understanding that this is
the essence of shareware or user supported software.  I'm
sure you'd agree.  Otherwise it would be just like the normal
commercial distribution methods where you lay down your money
first and then find out if you like the package.

As an aside, both PROCOMM and QMODEM look like excellent products
and deserve to be considered by anyone in the market for such
software.  Personally, I find PROCOMM to be easier to user by
a tad.  QMODEM seems to have some interesting features (e.g.,
43 line mode and external protocols) but I haven't gotten them
to work well for me yet.  If this doesn't improve soon, PROCOMM
will get my vote.

caf@omen.UUCP (10/23/87)

In article <4330007@hpindda.HP.COM> hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) writes:
:a tad.  QMODEM seems to have some interesting features (e.g.,
:43 line mode and external protocols) but I haven't gotten them
:to work well for me yet.  If this doesn't improve soon, PROCOMM
:will get my vote.

ZCOMM and Pro-YAM will work in 43 lines mode, 114x60, or 100x75 if your
EGA Bios can set the mode.  Of course, 100x75 is a bit hard to read on a
14 inch monitor, but ZCOMM handles it fine.

Note: ZCOMM in 29, 43, 44, 60, 66, or 75 line mode will not pass VTTEST
because VTTEST is hard wired to 24 lines.  But at least it passs it in
25 line mode.  It also works with "aggressive" vt100 termcaps.

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (10/23/87)

The problem I have been having with QMODEM's 43 line mode isn't really
with QMODEM at all, but with it's usefulness for me.  I can invoke
this mode easily enough, but then I only get printout to the top
half of my screen.  My purpose was not to see things smaller, but to
see more stuff.  My normal environment (the one with which I am
familiar) is an HP3000 running MPE, for which I use HP's AdvanceLink
to emulate an HP2627 graphics terminal.  I use Procomm or Qmodem
set to VT100 emulation for accessing Notes on UNIX, CompuServe forums,
etc., all of which are fairly new environents for me.  I suspect
my problem may be the selection of VT100 mode, which may limit me
to the VT100 screen size (i.e., when I tell UNIX I'm a VT100 it
may format its output assuming that screen size).  In any case, it
could take me some time to run down the solutions to these problems,
but I intend to register for one of these com packages soon.
Procomm, for me, still seems to behave in a more intuitive manner,
requiring less access to the documentation.