[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Toshiba external floppy

martyn@garfield.UUCP (Martyn Quigley) (10/23/87)

Is there anyone who could tell me the pinout for the external floppy port
on the Toshiba T3100? Any advice on building a cable from a T3100 to a
Canon 5.25" drive?

Any information gratefully received by:

martyn@garfield.UUCP
mquigley@mun.bitnet

TIA

larry@sgistl.SGI.COM (Larry Autry) (10/24/87)

In article <4082@garfield.UUCP>, martyn@garfield.UUCP (Martyn Quigley) writes:
> Is there anyone who could tell me the pinout for the external floppy port
> on the Toshiba T3100? Any advice on building a cable from a T3100 to a
> Canon 5.25" drive?

I have observed that there are some Toshiba owners on the net.  I
hope that this information will interest them as well as the above
requestor.
I have to believe that the T3100 and the T1100+ have the same pinout.
Here is a parts list and pin-out for the external drive cable for the
Toshiba.  It may be a good idea to get another version of MS-DOS (3.2)
to allow for more compatibility with the older 8 sector software.
I have been using such a cable for several months now with satisfactory
results with my T1100+.

1.  1 standard floppy drive cable (34 pin ribbon cable).
2.  1 DB-25 connector (rs-232 type) solder type if no crimper
    available.
3.  1 DB-25 hood.

Remove the circuit board end from the floppy cable (the smaller end).
Take the floppy cable and single out each of the strands on the floppy
cable.  Many of the wires are not used.

External Drive	Signal Name	Toshiba (DB-25)

33 & 34		Ready		1
8		Head Index	2
26		Track 0		3
28		Write Protect	4
30		Read Data	5
10		Select		10
16		Motor		11
22		Write Data	12
24		Write Gate	13
32		Head Select	15
18		Direction	16
20		Step		17
31		Ground		18

^				^

All odd pins are ground.        Pins 6-9, 14, 19-25, are not used.
--
Larry Autry,  Silicon Graphics, Inc.,  St.Louis, (314)232-2877
larry@sgistl.SGI.COM