[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MIX C

geh@a.cs.okstate.edu (G. E. Hedrick) (10/26/87)

Date:     Mon, 26 Oct 87 10:21:42 CST
From:     M J Folk <mjf@a.cs.okstate.edu>
Subject:  Re:  MIX C

I like it very much, but have had a couple of problems with it that would
cause me not to use it on a major project.  As a result of these problems,
I don't really believe I can fully trust it the way I can a tried and
tested compiler like Lattice C, which I have used a great deal in the past.

The problems I can recall encountering:  (1) short integers are one byte rather
than two bytes.  This is not illegal, but it is different I believe than virtually all other C compilers.  (2) When I tried to pass a
short to a function, a zero was sent rather than the intended value.  When I
changed the argument to int, it worked fine.

What I like most about MIX C is the trace facility.  It is really nice for
developmental work, and the price is right, for sure.

Another plus is the tutorial manual that comes with it.  A couple of my students have said that it was a perfect supplement to K & R.

Mike
--
G. E. Hedrick
Oklahoma State University