[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Math Wordprocessors capable of generating postscript

arup@grasp.cis.upenn.edu (Arup Mukherjee) (10/05/87)

[This is posted for a friend who does not have net access]

Are there any good word processors out there that will generate mathematic
symbols, greek letters, etc on the screen of a PC or AT (CGA or EGA) which
will also generate postscript output? It need not be public domain/shareware.
I have looked at chiwrite which is a public domain word processor that does
exactly the kind of thing I want except that it does not support postscript
[ The only laser printer support seems to be for a HP laserjet].

Also.....
	[1] Are there any math / greek fonts around for use with "write" which
is part of MS windows? Are there copyrighted or PD? Where can I get them from?

	[2] Are there any programs around that could generate postscript
from an output file generated for an HP Laserjet?

				Many thanks, netlanders....

							Arup Mukherjee
						[arup@grasp.cis.upenn.edu]

Steven_N_Jones@cup.portal.com (10/08/87)

    Two programs that have been recommended to me for doing math
formulas are:
    1.  Microsoft Word  - for simple formulas
    2.  Exact (Technical Support Soft., Bx 289, Chestnut Hill, MA 02167)
          which will process imbedded codes in your text files

                                 Steven Jones
                                 steven.n.jones@cup.portal.COM

HBX@PSUVM.BITNET (Terry Harrison 336 Beam BAB 3-3357) (10/09/87)

For WYSIWYG technical word processing, including Postscript output
capability, T3 from TCI Software Reseach in Las Cruces NM is
the best that I have found after looking for over 6 months last year.
-------

Terry Harrison
Management Science Department
336 Beam Business Administration Building
Penn State University
University Park, PA  16802
(814) 863-3357

BITNET: hbx@psuvm
UUCP:   {akgua,allegra,ihnp4,cbosgd}!psuvax1!psuvm.BITNET!hbx
ARPA:   hbx%psuvm.bitnet@wiscvm.arpa

kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin Barry Crocker) (10/09/87)

In article <879@cup.portal.com>, Steven_N_Jones@cup.portal.com writes:

>Two programs that have been recommended to me for doing math
> formulas are:
> 1.  Microsoft Word  - for simple formulas
> 2.  Exact (Technical Support Soft., Bx 289, Chestnut Hill, MA 02167)
>           which will process imbedded codes in your text files

Another program that does an excellent job of formulas is:

	Lotus Manuscript by LOTUS DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION

ihnp4!alberta!auvax!kevinc (Kevin Crocker Athabasca University)
Do our employers have opinions or is that what we get paid for!

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (10/12/87)

In article <879@cup.portal.com>, Steven_N_Jones@cup.portal.com writes:

>     Two programs that have been recommended to me for doing math
> formulas are:
>     1.  Microsoft Word  - for simple formulas
>     2.  Exact (Technical Support Soft., Bx 289, Chestnut Hill, MA 02167)
>           which will process imbedded codes in your text files
>
>                                  Steven Jones
>                                  steven.n.jones@cup.portal.COM

EXACT works with your current word processor. If you already have one, that's
fine. If not, $475 is a high price to pay for no word processor.  There is
also Manuscript, Chiwriter, and T3 (T-cubed).

Anyone else have additions or corrections??

Cheers!

-- Ed.

Net  :  {uunet,ihnp4,noao,hao,yale}!hsi!tankus
Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
Bell :  (203) 562-2101

glidden@morgoth.UUCP (Ken A. Glidden) (10/15/87)

In "Notices of the American Mathematics Society" (spelling may be off a bit,
I don't have it in front of me) Jan. 1987, Feb. 1987, and April 1987 you will
find a great 3 part review of technical word processors for IBM PCs.  I
highly recommend it.  It contains thourough reviews of oodles and oodles of
TWPs.
--
LIVE:   Ken A. Glidden, (617) 969-0050
ARPA:	adelie!morgoth!glidden@harvard.HARVARD.EDU

waynec@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Wayne Cannon) (10/17/87)

Spellbinder claims to have a technical word processing package that
supports the HP LaserJet.

Lexisoft, Inc.
Box 1378
Davis, CA     95617

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (10/22/87)

Here's another one:

ChiWriter, from Horstmann Software Design Corp.  Price is $80 including CGA
support. Additional cards, printers, etc. cost $20-$50 more each.

Their address as of Oct. 1 is:

	Horstmann ....
	140 E. San Carlos, Suite 200
	P.O. Box 5039
	San Jose, CA 95150
	(408) 298-0828

This info is from a brochure I received in the mail.  I have not used the
program myself and all the other disclaimers about no knowledge about anything.

Cheers!

-- Ed.

Net  :  {uunet,ihnp4,noao,hao,yale}!hsi!tankus
Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
Bell :  (203) 562-2101

waynec@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Wayne Cannon) (10/26/87)

More on Spellbinder by Lexisoft:

A recent issue of "Computers in Science" praised Spellbinder's
ability to deal with mathematical symbols and equations.  It
also reviewed several other wordprocessors that claimed to
support technical text.