[comp.sys.ibm.pc] KERMIT 2.29 problem

mandel@well.UUCP (Tom Mandel) (10/27/87)

I am having this curious problem getting MSKERMIT Version 2.29
to work at all on my two AT clones.  The equipment is as
follows:

(1)	Samsung S-286, with Everex 920 300/1200 baud modem,
	running under PC-DOS 3.2.

(2)	Wyse pc286, also with an Everex 920 modem, and running
	under MS-DOS 3.1.

The problem is that when I run MSKERMIT and try to connect to
the modem (on either machine), I am unable to wake up the
modem at all.  COM ports, speeds, parity, and so on are all
set correctly.  I have fiddled around with MSKERMIT's local
echo on/off, but that seems to make no difference.

I suspect some sort of mismatch between MSKERMIT 2.29 and
the Everex modems, since the other telecomm software I have
available (Framework II, Bitcom, and KERMIT-MS 2.27) all
behave properly.

Has anybody run into anything similar, and are there any
suggested fixes, or...?

Thanks,

--Tom Mandel	mandel@kl.sri.com	well!mandel

nwc@cunixc.columbia.edu (Nick Christopher) (10/27/87)

Kermit 2.29 has problems with a few flavors of internal modems, Everex is one,
it did not work for my Everex (Ever for excellence! ;-) >I asked Frank da Cruz
about it, he said it was simply never tested for them.  You should look for
2.29b or up, or go back to 2.8 either will work fine.

/nwc
--
		"I am the Lorvax. I speak for the machines."
nwc%cunixc@columbia, columbia!cunixc!nwc  BITNET: nwcus@cuvma

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (10/27/87)

In article <4308@well.UUCP> mandel@well.UUCP (Tom Mandel) writes:
$
[...]

This is an acknowledged bug in version 2.29.  It is said that it does
not work with several internal modems that are clones of the Hayes,
including the Everex.

The fix is to use version 2.29b or 2.29c or 2.30.

Tom Reingold 			INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research	UUCP: 		<backbone>!bellcore!tr
435 South St room 2L350		SOUNDNET:	(201) 829-5119 [work]
Morristown, NJ 07960				(201) 287-2345 [home]

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (10/28/87)

In article <4308@well.UUCP>, mandel@well.UUCP (Tom Mandel) writes:
> I am having this curious problem getting MSKERMIT Version 2.29
> to work at all on my two AT clones....
>
> The problem is that when I run MSKERMIT and try to connect to
> the modem (on either machine), I am unable to wake up the
> modem at all.  COM ports, speeds, parity, and so on are all
> set correctly...
> I suspect some sort of mismatch between MSKERMIT 2.29 and
> the Everex modems, since the other telecomm software I have
> available (Framework II, Bitcom, and KERMIT-MS 2.27) all
> behave properly.

  Are these internal modems ?  - this is likely to be your problem.

  "But you should be aware that Kermit does not necessarily work with any
   particular internal modem, even if it works with an external modem on
   the same system"  - 'Kermit, A file Transfer Protocol', p.24, F. DaCruz

 - internal modems (can be said to) simulate the RS232 interface; I assume
   that that is the problem here.

    greg.