[comp.sys.ibm.pc] second serial port for AT&T 6300

ndj@sfsup.UUCP (N.Justus) (10/26/87)

Can anyone tell me how I can add a second serial port to an AT&T 6300?
Does anyone manufacture a card that will work in this machine (the card
should contain 1 or more serial ports that can be configured for COMn, n>1)

Thanks.
Nathan
--
Nathan Justus,  AT&T Information Systems, Summit NJ

{allegra,amdahl,homxb,mtune,bellcore,ihnp4,princeton,ucbvax}!attunix!ndj

hgp@houem.UUCP (#H.PAGE) (10/26/87)

In article <2259@sfsup.UUCP>, ndj@sfsup.UUCP (N.Justus) writes:
> Can anyone tell me how I can add a second serial port to an AT&T 6300?
> Does anyone manufacture a card that will work in this machine (the card
> should contain 1 or more serial ports that can be configured for COMn, n>1)

When I had a 6300, I bought a second seral port from IDE Associates,
Biellrica, MA (800-257-5027).

--

Howard G. Page   AT&T BTL,  HO 3E-537 +1 201 949-0113, ..!ihnp4!houem!hgp

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Pete Fales) (10/27/87)

In article <2259@sfsup.UUCP>, ndj@sfsup.UUCP (N.Justus) writes:
> Can anyone tell me how I can add a second serial port to an AT&T 6300?
> Does anyone manufacture a card that will work in this machine (the card
> should contain 1 or more serial ports that can be configured for COMn, n>1)

I currently have a card in my 6300 manufactured by Fortron.  It needed
the only the proper jumpers to give me a second serial port on COM2 and
a second parallel port on LPT2.

--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

heff@flnexus.ATT.COM (Paul K Heffner) (10/27/87)

in article <2259@sfsup.UUCP>, ndj@sfsup.UUCP (N.Justus) says:

> Can anyone tell me how I can add a second serial port to an AT&T 6300?
> Does anyone manufacture a card that will work in this machine (the card
> should contain 1 or more serial ports that can be configured for COMn, n>1)

I went in search of the same article for my 6300+ a few months ago. First I
bought a knockoff clone serial board which, as it turned out, could only
be configured as COM1: or COM3: as bought. Most of the clone boards will
allow a second COM2: port by using a second ACE chip, a line driver chip
and a line reciever chip, and a pigtail cable. I sent the board back.

I finally broke down and bought the "official" IBM asynchronous board
at a sale price. This board is really nice, and can be configured to
be any of the "COM" designators with little effort.

Can anybody out there send me a Simul-task/Unix driver for a COM2:/tty2
port for the Plus? I only want to do some 1200 baud modem work through it.
I understand that there is one available with some Communications Manager
package, but all I really need is a driver.

Paul Heffner
ATT, Altamonte Springs, Fl.

psfales@ihlpe.UUCP (10/28/87)

In article <122@flnexus.ATT.COM>, heff@flnexus.ATT.COM (Paul K Heffner) writes:
> I went in search of the same article for my 6300+ a few months ago. First I
> bought a knockoff clone serial board which, as it turned out, could only
> be configured as COM1: or COM3: as bought. Most of the clone boards will
> allow a second COM2: port by using a second ACE chip, a line driver chip
> and a line reciever chip, and a pigtail cable. I sent the board back.

I had a similar knockoff board in my 6300 for a while.  It had the same
problem with the port that could only be set (via dip switches)for COM1
or COM3.  However, since all the decoding logic for COM2 was on the board,
I only had to solder in one jumper to make it work.  A little inconvenient,
but I imagine it was cheaper than buying a board from I*M.