[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Extended/Expanded Memory

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (10/16/87)

I have a Zenith 248 with 3 megabytes of extended memory.  I need to take that
memory and turn it into expanded memory.  Does anyone know if such a thing is
possible?  Any public domain/shareware products?
--
"I don't want to be rich,              Peter Merchant (merchant@dartvax.UUCP)
 I just want to be wonderful."

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (10/20/87)

In article <7405@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
|I have a Zenith 248 with 3 megabytes of extended memory.  I need to take that
|memory and turn it into expanded memory.  Does anyone know if such a thing is
|possible?  Any public domain/shareware products?

QEMM from Quarterdeck seems to work quite well. I have the 386 version,
but I'm told that there is a 286 version as well. It's absolutely possible.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

ralf@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralf Brown) (10/23/87)

In article <7662@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <7405@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
>|I have a Zenith 248 with 3 megabytes of extended memory.  I need to take that
>|memory and turn it into expanded memory.  Does anyone know if such a thing is
>|possible?  Any public domain/shareware products?
>
>QEMM from Quarterdeck seems to work quite well. I have the 386 version,
>but I'm told that there is a 286 version as well. It's absolutely possible.
>--
>	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

The QEXT.SYS driver which comes with DV 2.0 calls itself QEXTXXX0, and has
the startup message "QUARTERDECK EXTENDED MEMORY MANAGER".  If this is
what you are thinking of, it will *not* allow you to use extended memory
as expanded memory.  What it DOES do is allow DESQview to run about 60K of
itself in the first 64K of extended memory *without* switching to protected
mode.

Using the first 64K of extended memory from real mode is possible because of
a quirk in the 286, which allows it to generate addresses up to 1M + 64K - 16
in real mode (i.e. FFFF:FFFF).  Since the 286 has 24 address lines, addresses
of >1M are not wrapped back to 0 as they are on the 808x with 20 address
lines.  The AT has circuitry which normally forces the  21st address line
low, to effect the wrapping.  The QEXT.SYS driver turns this off, allowing
the CPU to address more than one meg.

--
{harvard,uunet,ucbvax}!b.gp.cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=- AT&T: (412)268-3053 (school)
ARPA: RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU |4 line .sigs|"I do not fear computers.|DISCLAIMER?

luis@grinch.UUCP (luis) (10/24/87)

In article <7405@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
>I have a Zenith 248 with 3 megabytes of extended memory.  I need to take that
>memory and turn it into expanded memory.  Does anyone know if such a thing is
>possible?  Any public domain/shareware products?

    There is a local computer store in the area that is selling a program
which will do exactly what you want...  I don't remember the price, but
it came in two versions..  With source code, and without source code...
If you are still interested in it, please let me know via E-MAIL..  In case
you are wondering, the store was called  FRY's Electronics...  Sorry for
such little info on it, but I just remember glancing at it...

Luis Chanu                             "Live every day as if it were your last,
UUCP: ...ihnp4!sun!aeras!grinch!luis      because one day you will be right."
UUCP: ...pyramid!wjvax!grinch!luis                              -Benny Hill
              Disk-Claimer: That's not your disk, that's my disk.

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (10/24/87)

About turning extended into expanded memory on the Zenith 248 (presum-
ably with the Zenith memory board).  The Zenith tech rep has found that
Limsim (Larson Computing, 1556 Halford Ave. #142, Santa Clara, CA
95051, (408)737-0627) works well with Lotus with minimal speed degra-
dation (presumably because of the 0 wait state and 100ns drams in the
Zenith).  V-emm (ad in PC Mag, Fort's Software, P.O. Box 396, Manhat-
tan, Kansas 66502, 913 537-3897) claims to do the same thing.  Both
are for 286 or 386 machines.  Have not personally tried either program;
but did talk with Larson about his program.  Hope this helps.

--Mike Volow, Psychiatry, Durham Veterans Administration Medical Center
  Durham, NC, 27712             919 383 3568
  mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (10/26/87)

In article <221@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> ralf@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralf Brown) writes:
|In article <7662@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
|>In article <7405@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
|>|I have a Zenith 248 with 3 megabytes of extended memory.  I need to take that
|>|memory and turn it into expanded memory.  Does anyone know if such a thing is
|>|possible?  Any public domain/shareware products?
|>
|>QEMM from Quarterdeck seems to work quite well. I have the 386 version,
|>but I'm told that there is a 286 version as well. It's absolutely possible.
|>--
|>	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
|
|The QEXT.SYS driver which comes with DV 2.0 calls itself QEXTXXX0, and has
|the startup message "QUARTERDECK EXTENDED MEMORY MANAGER".  If this is
|what you are thinking of, it will *not* allow you to use extended memory
|as expanded memory.  What it DOES do is allow DESQview to run about 60K of
|itself in the first 64K of extended memory *without* switching to protected
|mode.

I don't know exactly what it does. I can run 4 600k DOS programs at
once, so I assume that it does what the manual say: allows extended
memory to be used as expanded memory. Looking at the LIM standard, the
interface is all via interrupts, so you can use *anything* as LIM
memory, including disk! Someone will remember the name of the product
and post it, I hope, I can't find it.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

abcscnge@csun.UUCP (Scott Neugroschl) (10/27/87)

Jerry Pournelle says in his BYTE column that Above Disc does a good
job of emulating EMS.
--
UUCP: {litvax,humboldt,sdcrdcf,rdlvax,ttidca,}\_ csun!abcscnge
      {psivax,csustan,nsc-sca,trwspf         }/

ralf@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU.UUCP (10/28/87)

In article <7700@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <221@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> I write:
>|In article <7662@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>|>QEMM from Quarterdeck seems to work quite well. I have the 386 version,
>|>but I'm told that there is a 286 version as well. It's absolutely possible.
>|>	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
>|
>|The QEXT.SYS driver which comes with DV 2.0 calls itself QEXTXXX0, and has
>|the startup message "QUARTERDECK EXTENDED MEMORY MANAGER".  If this is
>|what you are thinking of, it will *not* allow you to use extended memory
>|as expanded memory.  What it DOES do is allow DESQview to run about 60K of
>|itself in the first 64K of extended memory *without* switching to protected
>|mode.
>
>I don't know exactly what it does. I can run 4 600k DOS programs at
>once, so I assume that it does what the manual say: allows extended
>memory to be used as expanded memory. [...]
>	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

I guess I wasn't explicit enough:  I was talking about a driver which is
included in the base package, *not* the extra-cost QEMM-386.  The 386 version
does indeed simulate EEMS memory, but that is trivial on a 386 compared to
a 286 (386: run in virtual 86 mode, modify page tables; 286: do actual
physical copying, switching back and forth between real and protected mode).
And of course far faster.

Yes, there are EMS simulators for 286's, but as I mentioned above, they
work by actually copying data to and from a fixed 64K memory buffer.  It is
much harder to simulate AshtonTate-AST Enhanced EMS (EEMS) memory, because
that would require that the driver be able to swap any portion of the DOS
address space.  Note that DESQview requires EEMS (not EMS) to be able to
run more than 640K of programs concurrently without swapping some out.
Simulated EEMS, however, would bring DV to its knees--try task switching
three or four times a second when it takes a full second or more to swap
address spaces with an EEMS simulator.