[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Windows

scoz@ur-tut.UUCP (Steven Cozza) (10/28/87)

    Hi, I'm doing some programming in C on an IBM AT and I
would like to use windows. What I'd like to know is if there
are any programmer utility packages out, that allow a programmer
to open/modify/use windows, it should also be able to support
dialog boxes, and allow the programmer to interface with a mouse.
As far as I know Desqview has some sort of applications programmer
interface, but I have no specifics. Also "Windows for C" by Creative
Software, but once again I have no real information. So basically,
I have no idea of what's out there and would really appreciate any
information anyone can give.

Steve Cozza

latham@ablnc.UUCP (10/28/87)

In article <347@ur-tut.UUCP>, scoz@ur-tut.UUCP (Steven Cozza) writes:

>     Hi, I'm doing some programming in C on an IBM AT and I
> would like to use windows. What I'd like to know is if there
> are any programmer utility packages out, that allow a programmer
> to open/modify/use windows, it should also be able to support
> dialog boxes, and allow the programmer to interface with a mouse.
> As far as I know Desqview has some sort of applications programmer
> interface, but I have no specifics.

    Look into the Windows ( (r) Microsoft )  Development Set,  especially
    if you intend to support this stuff for the PS/2 line from IBM.
    You'll need Windows 2.0, MSC 4.0 C Compiler, and the Windows
    Development Set.

    Thisis a tad expensive, but if your serious ....

    Windows supports the GDI interface that will be esential to the
    user interface under the new OS for IBM (1988).  Windows 2.0 is
    also what Microsoft says it is releasing for the new OS on the PS/2.

    Windows supports everything you want in a device independent manner
    and soooo much more.  Boy! This is beginning to sound like and
    advertisement. :-)

    Of course, you could always get GEM. :-(

						Ken Latham
						UNIX Technical Support
						AT&T
						ihnp4!ablnc!latham

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (10/28/87)

In article <347@ur-tut.UUCP> scoz@ur-tut.UUCP (Steven Cozza) writes:
>    Hi, I'm doing some programming in C on an IBM AT and I
>would like to use windows. What I'd like to know is if there
>are any programmer utility packages out, that allow a programmer
>to open/modify/use windows, it should also be able to support
>dialog boxes, and allow the programmer to interface with a mouse.

Microsoft sells a Windows Development system for thier Windows
enviorment.  From what I have seen of the calling system for the
package, it is very simple to use and very powerful.  There are a few
public domain programs written for Windows that come with sources.
Unfortunately, one must have the Windows interface libraries to link the
program.  The only problem with the Windows Development System is that
it costs ~$500.  (Of course a real serious programmer can make this up
in sales, but not a hacker.)

--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {cmcl2!decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm