[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is there a free device driver for disks > 32 MBytes?

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (10/26/87)

Hi again, folks.

I have read about Golden Bow's VFeature Deluxe, which, for about $90,
you can use a hard disk as a single virtual drive, even though its
size exceeds 32 megabytes.  And there are other brands of device
drivers that do the same.  Is there one in the public domain or that
is shareware?

thanckx.

Tom Reingold 			INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research	UUCP: 		<backbone>!bellcore!tr
435 South St room 2L350		SOUNDNET:	(201) 829-5119 [work]
Morristown, NJ 07960				(201) 287-2345 [home]

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (10/27/87)

In article <3248@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
>I have read about Golden Bow's VFeature Deluxe, which, for about $90,
>you can use a hard disk as a single virtual drive, even though its
>size exceeds 32 megabytes.  And there are other brands of device
>drivers that do the same.  Is there one in the public domain or that
>is shareware?

Compaq's version of MS-DOS/PC-DOS (both 3.1 and 3.2, don't know about the
earlier versions) provides a device driver "enhdisk.sys" which permits
access to more than one DOS partition on a hard disk. To complement that,
their "fdisk" permits creation of several DOS partitions, and lets you
designate which partition to boot from.

Thus, you could split up a 60MB disk into two partitions, and access
the first one as C: and the second one as D:. You could even bind the two
into one directory hierarchy with the DOS 3.x command "join", which
acts somewhat like UNIX "mount".

Wolf Paul
ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp

simrin@mis.ucsf.edu.UUCP (10/28/87)

PC-DOS 3.3 supports primary and extended DOS partitions. Each physical
disk must have one primary partition. The primary partition is limited to
32 Mbytes. Each disk may have up to 3 extended partitions. The size of
extended partitions is limited only by the size of the physical disk.
COMPAQ's MS-DOS 3.31 has a similar feature