[comp.sys.ibm.pc] "square" paint program?

svirsky@ttidca.TTI.COM (William Svirsky) (10/27/87)

Is it possible  to get a true  WYSIWYG (What You See  Is What You
Get) paint  program and/or hardware  for the PC  without shelling
out big  bucks? The main  problem I  am having is  with rotation,
which is  a must for my  purposes. When I rotate  text 90 degrees
for example, the "unsquare" aspect  ratio of the monitor distorts
the text. Is this  true for all monitors/adapters/paint programs?
Even if  the software can  scale the image  when it prints  it so
that it comes out "square", I don't want to have to print it over
and over  just to see  what it really looks  like. Am I  going to
have to buy a Macintosh? Thanks in advance.
--
Bill Svirsky, Citicorp+TTI, 3100 Ocean Park Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405
Work phone: 213-450-9111 x2597

joel@peora.UUCP (10/29/87)

In article <1397@ttidca.TTI.COM>, svirsky@ttidca (William Svirsky) writes:
> Is it possible  to get a true  WYSIWYG (What You See  Is What You
> Get) paint  program and/or hardware  for the PC  without shelling
> out big  bucks? The main  problem I  am having is  with rotation,
> which is  a must for my  purposes. When I rotate  text 90 degrees
> for example, the "unsquare" aspect  ratio of the monitor distorts
> the text. Is this  true for all monitors/adapters/paint programs?

I am told that if you  have  a  monitor/display  card/paint  program  that
support  640x480  or 800x600 resolutions you get square pixels, because of
the 4:3 aspect ratio of  normal  monitors.  I  upgraded  to  such  a  con-
figuration  recently,  but  haven't checked it myself.  I'll give it a try
and see if it actually works.  By the way Windows  really  looks  neat  in
800x600 with 16 colors.

--
     Joel Upchurch @ CONCURRENT Computer Corporation (A Perkin-Elmer Company)
     Southern Development Center