[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Any body willing to part with Turbo C or Pascal?

aeusesef@csun.UUCP (sean fagan) (10/26/87)

In article <2692@sigi.Colorado.EDU> laszlo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Laszlo Nemeth) writes:
>In article <4273@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> tim@cit-vax.UUCP (Timothy L. Kay) writes:
>>Also, do you have an old copy of Turbo Pascal that you are no longer
>>using?  I'll buy a copy for $20 to the first response.
Thought I'd be the first person to point out that if you are unsatisfied
with an older version of TP, and wanted to get rid of it for that reason,
Borland is offering a nice, relatively inexpensive, upgrade to TP 4.0, which
seems to be a fairly decent implementation of a lousy language.  I'm
relative certain that this is why Tim and Laszlo want it.
(I'm not against it, and it is certainly legal, I just wanted to point this
out to anybody who wasn't aware of it and might go in blind.  Hell, if you
want to sell, my address is below, and I'll match Tim's and Laszlo's offers
[I need a manual, mine seems to have not come with my copy...])
>same here
>>Tim
>Laszlo Nemeth
>laszlo@boulder.colorado.edu

 -----

 Sean Eric Fagan          Office of Computing/Communications Resources
 (213) 852 5742           Suite 2600
 1GTLSEF@CALSTATE.BITNET  5670 Wilshire Boulevard
                          Los Angeles, CA 90036
{litvax, rdlvax, psivax, hplabs, ihnp4}!csun!aeusesef

tim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Timothy L. Kay) (10/29/87)

>>>Also, do you have an old copy of Turbo Pascal that you are no longer
>>>using?  I'll buy a copy for $20 to the first response.
>Thought I'd be the first person to point out that if you are unsatisfied
>with an older version of TP, and wanted to get rid of it for that reason,
>Borland is offering a nice, relatively inexpensive, upgrade to TP 4.0, which
>seems to be a fairly decent implementation of a lousy language.  I'm
>relative certain that this is why Tim and Laszlo want it.
>
> Sean Eric Fagan          Office of Computing/Communications Resources

I made the original posting, and I have received two interesting responses.
First, I am *not* planning on upgrading to 4.0.  I am looking for a
second copy for a friend who wants to learn to program.  My guess is that
version 3.0 is simpler to use.  It is probably also faster because there
is no linking.  I say a second copy because, eventhough I don't use my
current copy of Turbo Pascal, I wouldn't part with it due to sentimental
reasons.

The other response was from somebody who had a copy of 3.0, and wouldn't
be needing it because the 4.0 upgrade would be arriving soon.  In this
case I am wondering, may he sell the original???  In other words, if you
get an upgrade of a software package, do you end up with two licenses?

I don't think so, but it is an interesting question.

Tim

marty@uw-june.UUCP (10/29/87)

In article <4344@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, tim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Timothy L. Kay) writes:

> The other response was from somebody who had a copy of 3.0, and wouldnt'
> be needing it because the 4.0 upgrade would be arriving soon.  In this
> case I am wondering, may he sell the original???

   Not legally (but that usually doesn't stop the flow of software).  The
"upgrade" is an *extension* of the original license.  If the user wants to
fork over the $99 (or whatever the price ends up being), then they have a
separate product.

						Marty Sirkin.