[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How Compatible?

ugfailau@cs.buffalo.EDU (Fai Lau) (10/23/87)

	A while ago I posted a message about how compatible
are the PS/2 and 6300. I got quite a few responses. One
asked if I had any particular program in mind. Yes, I
have. And I think it is more so a standard for testing
compatibility than the Flight Simulator. The program
is Electronic Art Music Composer. This thing doesn't
even run on the 3270s! My sister's compatibles which
runs amost all the self booting softwares doesn't run
this. When a PC program doesn't run on a 3270, I
don't think it'd run on anything else besides true
to the core PCs.

Fai  Lau
SUNY at Buffalo (The Arctic Wonderland)
UUCP: ..{mit-ems|watmath|rocksanne}!sunybcs!ugfailau
BI: ugfailau@sunybcs

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (10/24/87)

In article <6041@sunybcs.UUCP> ugfailau@sunybcs.UUCP (Fai Lau) writes:

>	A while ago I posted a message about how compatible
>are the PS/2 and 6300. I got quite a few responses. One
>asked if I had any particular program in mind. Yes, I
>have. And I think it is more so a standard for testing
>compatibility than the Flight Simulator. The program
>is Electronic Art Music Composer.

One of my friends bought ECA Music Composer and we tried it on my AT&T
6300 w/NEC V30 and it ran fine.  Of course, the Tandy 1000 was more
impressive to see it run on since the Tandy 1000 comes with 3 built in
sound synthesisers.
--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {cmcl2!decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm

psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (10/30/87)

<PS/2: yesterday's hardware today; OS/2: yesterday's software tomorrow>

In article <6041@sunybcs.UUCP>, ugfailau@cs.buffalo.EDU (Fai Lau) writes:
> 	A while ago I posted a message about how compatible
> are the PS/2 and 6300.

Ha!  Lots of luck getting a PS/2 (with 3.5 inch drives) to run software
from a copy protected 5.25 inch disk!  (He says, using a PS/2-30 as an
emulated HP terminal.  I *still* can't figure out why everyone else got
6310s, and I got this.)

>    Electronic Art Music Composer. This thing doesn't
> even run on the 3270s! My sister's compatibles which
> runs amost all the self booting softwares doesn't run
> this.

If you mean the Music Construction Set from Electronic Arts, I've got
good news for you.  It works just fine on my 6300 at home.  In fact, it
worked with the keyboard mouse (emulates arrow keys even *before* you
load a driver, which is important for self-booting programs!)  But it'd
flake out after a while.  Since I later had mouse-related trouble, and
my keyboard no longer passes diagnostics, I think something got zapped.
(Word of advice:  *don't* plug or unplug the keyboard when the power's
on, or plug or unplug the mouse into the keyboard.  Dunno why.)

> Fai  Lau
> SUNY at Buffalo (The Arctic Wonderland)
> UUCP: ..{mit-ems|watmath|rocksanne}!sunybcs!ugfailau
> BI: ugfailau@sunybcs

-Paul S. R. Chisholm, {ihnp4,cbosgd,allegra,rutgers}!mtune!lznv!psc
AT&T Mail !psrchisholm, Internet psc@lznv.att.com
I'm not speaking for my employer, I'm just speaking my mind.