[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Any suggestions on portable computers and printers

ptl@fluke.UUCP (10/28/87)

Hi,						10/28/87

Do you have any suggestions or experiences with portable
computers?  One of my brothers needs a portable, mainly
for writing reports and letters.  How about any software
packages you could also recommend?  Portable printers?

Thanks,

Mike Andrews (PTL)
--
new address: ptl@tc.fluke.COM --- John Fluke Manufacturing Co., Everett, WA
or try ARPA: fluke!ptl@uw-beaver.ARPA

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (10/31/87)

In article <2110@sputnik.COM> ptl@tc.fluke.COM (Mike Andrews) writes:
>Do you have any suggestions or experiences with portable
>computers?  One of my brothers needs a portable, mainly
>for writing reports and letters.  How about any software
>packages you could also recommend?  Portable printers?

I would strongly suggest looking at the NEC MultiSpeed.  There are now 3
models of this IBM PC/XT compatible laptop.  THe NEC weighs about 12 lbs
and comes with 640k of static RAM, 5 built in programs (notepad, dialer,
modem program, filer, and outliner), 2 3.5" 720k disk drives or 1 3.5"
and 1 20Mb hard drive, LCD display, internal batteries, clock calendar,
RGB port for monitor, printer port, serial port, and a slot for an
internal modem.  The base model, the NEC Multispeed, has 2 3.5" drives
and a non-backlit screen.  They are now available for ~$1500 with a list
of ~$2000.  The next model up has a backlit screen, but costs ~2500.
The backlit screen can be turned on and off so that you don't drain the
batteries.  NEC also is providing an upgrade from the older model to
this backlit one for $500.  The third one has the internal 20Mb drive.
I am not sure if this version is available in the US yet.

The other nice feature about the NEC is that it is fast.  The cpu is a
NEC V30 that is switchable between 4.77Mhz and 9.7MHz.

--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {cmcl2!decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm