[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Spooler needed for Serial Port

russ@hpldola.UUCP (10/26/87)

I am interested in any information on a spooler for the serial port.
This is not for a printer (rediredted to lpt1:), but for a plotter
connected to com1:.  I would like a spooler that would allow me
to continue using the computer while the plotter was plotting.
Information on any programs -- PD, shareware, or commercial
will be appreciated.  Thanks.

pxd3563@ritcv.UUCP (10/28/87)

I'd be interested in a spooler for the serial port as well.  The company that
I was working for over the summer wanted to hook up an HP plotter to a PC and
do mass plotting with it.  So any information would be greatly appreciated.

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (10/29/87)

In article <11250009@hpldola.HP.COM> russ@hpldola.HP.COM (Russell Johnston) writes:
$ I am interested in any information on a spooler for the serial port.
$ This is not for a printer (rediredted to lpt1:), but for a plotter
$ connected to com1:.  I would like a spooler that would allow me
$ to continue using the computer while the plotter was plotting.
$ Information on any programs -- PD, shareware, or commercial
$ will be appreciated.  Thanks.

I think your best bet is a stand-alone buffer.  You can get them for
about $120 and work even after your computer is powered down or if the
machine crashes.  It's a black box with two RS232 connectors on each
end, and a small power source.  Most are upgradable from, say 64K to
256K.  Look into the Microfazer made by Quadram, I think.  There are
also many good generic ones.  These boxes also place no demands on
your PC, add no TSRs, and the PC doesn't even know they are there.
More expensive ones can be reset with a button and have other
interesting features.

There is software, such as SuperSpool from AST.  But I think the
hardware solution is better.

Tom Reingold 			INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research	UUCP: 		<backbone>!bellcore!tr
435 South St room 2L350		SOUNDNET:	(201) 829-5119 [work]
Morristown, NJ 07960				(201) 287-2345 [home]

dougd@elxsi.UUCP (Doug DeMers) (11/02/87)

In article <3313@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
>In article <11250009@hpldola.HP.COM> russ@hpldola.HP.COM (Russell Johnston) writes:
>$ I am interested in any information on a spooler for the serial port.
>$ [deleted]
>
>I think your best bet is a stand-alone buffer.  You can get them for
>about $120 and work even after your computer is powered down or if the
>machine crashes.

DAK industries has something in their latest catalog called a `Computer
Answering Machine' which appears to be what you describe.  The picture
shows a BSR label on it - they want $69 for the 64K version;  $89 for
the 128K version (plus shipping, tax, etc.)  The ad claims it can store
up to 64 messages;  it's menu driven (by the caller), and supposedly
handles XMODEM transfers.  Might be worth checking out - DAK offers a
30-day no-hassle moneyback guarantee (I've used it on occasion :-)).
--
Doug DeMers           uucp:     ...{lll-tis,sun}!elxsi!dougd
                      USnail:   Elxsi, 2334 Lundy Place, San Jose, CA 95131