[comp.sys.ibm.pc] EPSON MX-80 UPGRADE

ndj@sfsup.UUCP (N.Justus) (10/26/87)

I own and use an ancient (i.e. 4-5 year old) Epson MX80 printer.
A friend told me that there were some chip upgrades to upgrade
this printer to an IBM graphics/Epson FX(?) series printer.
Can anyone advise me on this?

Thanks in advance.

Nathan
--
Nathan Justus,  AT&T Information Systems, Summit NJ

{allegra,amdahl,homxb,mtune,bellcore,ihnp4,princeton,ucbvax}!attunix!ndj

phil@sci.UUCP (10/27/87)

In article <2260@sfsup.UUCP>, ndj@sfsup.UUCP (N.Justus) writes:
> I own and use an ancient (i.e. 4-5 year old) Epson MX80 printer.
> A friend told me that there were some chip upgrades to upgrade
> this printer to an IBM graphics/Epson FX(?) series printer.
> Can anyone advise me on this?
I have the same problem. A while back I called Epson and they didn't
have any idea what I was talking about.
Any help would be appreciated.

dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (10/28/87)

In article <2260@sfsup.UUCP> ndj@sfsup.UUCP (N.Justus) writes:
>I own and use an ancient (i.e. 4-5 year old) Epson MX80 printer.
>A friend told me that there were some chip upgrades to upgrade
>this printer to an IBM graphics/Epson FX(?) series printer.

I was in the same situation, and after about a year of hunting, I finally
came up with one of these upgrade chips.  Simply a matter of removing the
old one and plugging the new one in.  I paid about $150 CDN for it.

You'll pretty well have to get ahold of an Epson rep. and hassle him quite
a bit.  The stores seem pretty useless in finding one of these for you, since
it's not on any price lists these days.

This Graftrax chip gives you 'Epson with Graftrax' compatability, which isn't
quite the same as FX-80 compatibility, although most graphics programs should
work (most graphic programs have options for Epson/Graftrax anyway).  Some of
the FX graphics commands aren't supported (ESC * n).

I think there might be a more advanced version (graftrax plus) than the
Graftrax chip I have, but I'm not sure.

Good luck,

-dalegass@dalcsug.uucp

apc@cblpe.UUCP (10/28/87)

In article <2260@sfsup.UUCP> ndj@sfsup.UUCP (N.Justus) writes:
>I own and use an ancient (i.e. 4-5 year old) Epson MX80 printer.
>A friend told me that there were some chip upgrades to upgrade
>this printer to an IBM graphics/Epson FX(?) series printer.
>Can anyone advise me on this?

>Thanks in advance.

>Nathan

I saw an add in Byte for a company that sells upgrade roms for
the epson line.  We too have an ancient MX-80, but I put mine more
like 10 yrs old (works fine, thanks).  I think the cost of the
roms seemed "a little" high though.. (1/4 - 1/2 price of new printer?)

too bad I forget which byte issue...
was within the last year.

--
        This space intentionally left          | Alan P. Curtis
                  blank                        | AT&T,BTL,CB
                                               | +1 614 860 4749
-----------------------------------------------| apc@cblpe.ATT.COM
Kudos to stargate for redistribution rights    | !cbosgd!cblpe!apc

pre1@sphinx.UUCP (10/29/87)

>In article <2260@sfsup.UUCP> ndj@sfsup.UUCP (N.Justus) writes:
>>I own and use an ancient (i.e. 4-5 year old) Epson MX80 printer.
>>A friend told me that there were some chip upgrades to upgrade
>>this printer to an IBM graphics/Epson FX(?) series printer.

I am looking at an ad in Profiles magazine (Kaypro Corp.) that talks
about an Epson upgrade.  Text follows:
------------------------- advertisement ------------------------------
Epson Upgrade.
If you have an Epson MX, RX, JX, or FX printer get this special attachment and
do beautiful things just by touching a button.  _Dots_Perfect_ is a smart hard-
ware upgrade that gives your printer the latest Epson printer enhancements
and capabilities.  Includes 17 print functions and 160 different font combi-
nations including great NLQ.  Why buy a new printer?  Upgrade it.  $69(US)
USA: 1-800-533-8049
CA:  1-800-624-5628
     1-805-524-4189
Central COmputer Products
330 Central Ave, Dept CP-1
Fillmore, CA  93015
--------------------- end advertisement -------------------------------

Please note that I have no affiliation whatsoever with CCP, not even as a
customer.  This advertisement is reproduced for information only.

--
=====================Grant Prellwitz==========================
!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1          pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP

bobmon@iucs.UUCP (10/29/87)

ndj@sfsup.UUCP (N.Justus) writes:
>I own and use an ancient (i.e. 4-5 year old) Epson MX80 printer.
>A friend told me that there were some chip upgrades to upgrade
>this printer to an IBM graphics/Epson FX(?) series printer.

About a year ago I requested and received literature for a chip upgrade to
MX's, RX's (which I have one of) and other pre-NLQ printers, that added NLQ
to the printer.  Enclosed samples looked pretty good, I think it's basically
sophisticated use of the graphics-mode capabilities (a guess).

Unfortunately, I decided not to sink the money (~ $75?) into a printer that's
too slow already, and I seem to've tossed the literature out.  And of course
I've forgotten the company name (MY volatile memory is even more limited and
volatile-er than my computer's!!:-().  I have seen their add again recently in
a Byte, though.  So be of stout heart, and wade through those back pages...

jhv@houxu.UUCP (10/29/87)

in article <170@dalcsug.UUCP>, dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) says:

> In article <2260@sfsup.UUCP> ndj@sfsup.UUCP (N.Justus) writes:
>>I own and use an ancient (i.e. 4-5 year old) Epson MX80 printer.
>>A friend told me that there were some chip upgrades to upgrade
>>this printer to an IBM graphics/Epson FX(?) series printer.
>
> This Graftrax chip gives you 'Epson with Graftrax' compatability, which isn't
> quite the same as FX-80 compatibility, although most graphics programs should
> work (most graphic programs have options for Epson/Graftrax anyway).  Some of
> the FX graphics commands aren't supported (ESC * n).

Its not Graftrax that is being asked about.  Dresselhaus Computer Products, 837
E. Alosta Ave, Glendora, CA 91740; Telephone: (818) 914-5831, ((800) 368-7737
to order) has a Dots-Perfect upgrade kit for the Epson MX, as well as other
Epson printers, that adds near letter quality printing and many IBM graphic
characters to the old MX printer.  In addition, print mode can be set from the
form-feed, on-line and line-feed buttons.  It is a simple PROM replacement.  I
don't remember the cost, but it was under 100 dollars US.
-----------------------
	James Van Ornum, AT&T, houxu!jhv

pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) (10/29/87)

In article <10624@sci.UUCP>, phil@sci.UUCP (Phil Kaufman) writes:
> In article <2260@sfsup.UUCP>, ndj@sfsup.UUCP (N.Justus) writes:
> > I own and use an ancient (i.e. 4-5 year old) Epson MX80 printer.
> > A friend told me that there were some chip upgrades to upgrade
> > this printer to an IBM graphics/Epson FX(?) series printer.
> > Can anyone advise me on this?
> I have the same problem. A while back I called Epson and they didn't
> have any idea what I was talking about.
> Any help would be appreciated.

I saw an ad in Byte for a chip that is installed in the old epsons
that will give you NLQ.  Keep looking there

--
            \\\!///		From:   Pete Schmitt
             _   _ 		UUCP:   allegra!decwrl!tsc.dec.com!pete

timothym@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Timothy D Margeson) (10/29/87)

Hi,

About MX-80 upgrades... I think someone has confused an FX-80 to FX-85 upgrade
offerred by Epson with the MX printers.

You can can (at least could) buy from Epson a kit which included an ECB, a few
chips, and a front panel overlay that made any FX-80 into an FX-85. Another
kit was offerred for owners of the FX-80+ printer. I installed the kit into
my FX-80. The net gain was IBM character set capability, and GOOD NLQ print
by pressing one front panel button. The NLQ print appears to be a 24x24 matrix
making almost as good as some 18 and 24 pin NLQ modes. The current EX and FX
series printers use only an 18x24 matrix (the upgrade kit uses a three pass
technique, the new FX and EX use only a two pass technique).

Hope this sheds some light on the recent questions about MX upgrades.

--
Tim Margeson (206)253-5240
PO Box 3500  d/s C1-937                          @@   'Who said that?'

rengland@mntgfx.mentor.com (Richard England) (11/04/87)

in article <4725@iucs.UUCP>, bobmon@iucs.UUCP (RAMontante [condition that I not be identified]) says:
<
[...]

The last issue of Byte had with it a flyer from Jade Electronics.  In it they
were offering "Dots Perfect" for ~$65.  This is a chip upgrade kit for the
Epson printer for NLQ.  Sorry I don't have any more info.

--
         1         2         3         4         5         6         7         8
12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890

Disclaim!  Don't follow me!  I'm lost too!