[comp.sys.ibm.pc] VI clone copyright status

alu@erc3ba.UUCP (Alan Lustiger) (11/02/87)

In article <1028@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> rjchen@phoenix.UUCP (Raymond Juimong Chen) writes:
>I have found a copy of a MS-DOS vi on a local bulletin board and am
>wondering what its copyright status is.  Its title screen is as
>follows:
>
>*** VI editor *** / by Striker! / Version 3.1p / 9/29/86 /
>Copyrite [sic] 1986 The StrikerCorp! Int'l
>
>It came with no documentation, so I am inclined to believe that
>it is indeed a commercial product.  Can anyone verify this?

I've seen it too, in my never ending quest for a PD version of VI.
It looked a little too familiar.

Striker, whoever he is, took a version of VI known as "Z" from
Manx Software. He substituted his name for that of the real author.
It is copyrighted and as far as I know illegal for
use unless you pay Manx for it or their Aztec C compiler.

I'm still breathlessly awaiting the version to be posted here...

--
               		Alan Lustiger
    |_ ' |             	AT&T Engineering Research Center

feg@clyde.UUCP (11/04/87)

$
$ *** VI editor *** / by Striker! / Version 3.1p / 9/29/86 /
$ Copyrite [sic] 1986 The StrikerCorp! Int'l
$
I tried email but we can't reach you that way...............

I have seen some hacked versions of the VI that is included with the
Manx C compiler on local BBS.  If the size of the version is around
29K and when brought up indicates that it can handle 57K files, then
that is what you have.  I have informed several sysops about this and
all but one removed the copy.

Forrest Gehrke