[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Whatever happened to simtel20.arpa?

jem97@leah.Albany.Edu ( Jim Mower) (11/04/87)

Last Sunday I successfully downloaded Micro Emacs from simtel20.arpa.
When I went to ftp the documentation, the network became unreachable.
It has been that way from Albany since.  Has anyone been able to connect
to them since the weekend?

Micro Emacs looks like a nice package.

Jim Mower, Dept. of Geography and Regional Planning
jem97@leah.albany.edu

malloy@crash.CTS.COM (Sean Malloy) (11/05/87)

In article <528@leah.Albany.Edu> jem97@leah.albany.edu.UUCP ( Jim Mower) writes:
>Last Sunday I successfully downloaded Micro Emacs from simtel20.arpa.
>When I went to ftp the documentation, the network became unreachable.
>It has been that way from Albany since.  Has anyone been able to connect
>to them since the weekend?
>
>Micro Emacs looks like a nice package.
I finished an FTP download from SIMTEL20 at about 1735 on 11/4/87, and
it seemed to be working fine.

One of the things that I have noticed is that there are a limited
number of ports into SIMTEL20; if they are all busy, you'll get a
'connection refused' message from FTP.

If the problem seems to be with the network translation of the
hostname to addresses, try using SIMTEL20's node number:

	ftp 26.0.0.74

instead of 'simtel20.arpa'.

--
	Sean Malloy {hplabs!hp-sdd, akgua, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!malloy
		ARPA: crash!malloy@nosc