[comp.sys.ibm.pc] low-level format

woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ronald S. Woan) (10/30/87)

My hard disk recently seems to have blown-up or something. Overnight
it seems to have developed great difficulty reading/writing. I tried
using DOS format to try to map out bad sectors but to no avail. Mysterious
read/write errors periodically occur with no warning all over the disk.

I am told by some that I may be able to solve my problems with a low-level
reformat of the hard-disk, but I do not have the software to do so. If anyone
happens to have a PD formatter, please let me know... By the way the hard disk
is a trashy CMI 20 meg. in one of those first 2000 AT's to roll off the assembly
line of IBM...

Thanks much...

					Ronald S. Woan
					woan@cory.berkeley.edu

P.S. If anyone could hazzard a guess of how the
problem started (virtually overnight), let me know.
So far guesses include lightening, power outage at
night, and trojan programs, along with standard
disk failure...

burton@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Philip M. Burton) (10/30/87)

In article <4678@zen.berkeley.edu> woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Ronald S. Woan) writes:
>My hard disk recently seems to have blown-up or something. Overnight
>I am told by some that I may be able to solve my problems with a low-level
>reformat of the hard-disk, but I do not have the software to do so. If anyone
>happens to have a PD formatter, please let me know... By the way the hard disk
>is a trashy CMI 20 meg. in one of those first 2000 AT's to roll off the assembly
Consider yourself lucky you got this far with that drive in your machine.
You got three years out of it, more than most guys.  By now, disk prices
are so much lower than they were in 1984 or 1985, that you can easily save
yourself the problems with that drive by getting a new 30 or 40 MB drive.

If your new drive formats to more than 32 MB, just go to DOS 3.3, and you
get multiple hard disk partitions.  By the way, you'll still need a low-
level formatter.

--
Philip Burton       burton.osbunorth@parcvax.COM
Xerox Corp.         .... !hplabs!parcvax!burton

wwhite@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Bill White) (11/02/87)

in article <4678@zen.berkeley.edu>, woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU says:

> My hard disk recently seems to have blown-up or something. Overnight
> it seems to have developed great difficulty reading/writing. I tried
> using DOS format to try to map out bad sectors but to no avail. Mysterious
> read/write errors periodically occur with no warning all over the disk.
>
> I am told by some that I may be able to solve my problems with a low-level
> reformat of the hard-disk, but I do not have the software to do so. If anyone
> happens to have a PD formatter, please let me know... By the way the hard
> disk is a trashy CMI 20 meg. in one of those first 2000 AT's to roll off the
> assembly line of IBM...

My AT, which is almost 2 years old now, started out with a CMI drive. IBM
replaced it twice during the warranty period (the 2nd replacement wasn't a
CMI). Each time the failure symptoms were the same. Sectors start to go bad
for no apparent reason. Each day I'd use the Norton Utilities to map out
a few more bad clusters, only to end up with more the next day.
Reformatting (using Advanced Diagnostics to do a low level format)
seemed to bring back all the disk, but after a few days
the problem came right back. I'd replace the disk asap if I were you.

Bill White
wwhite@teknowledge.arpa
--
	Bill White
	WWhite@Teknowledge

kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin Barry Crocker) (11/02/87)

In article <4678@zen.berkeley.edu>, woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ronald S. Woan) writes:
>I am told by some that I may be able to solve my problems with a low-level
>reformat of the hard-disk, but I do not have the software to do so. If anyone
>happens to have a PD formatter, please let me know...

f anyone has one of these PD or shareware low-level formatters that
would work on a Zenith 241 (not a 248) could you please send it to me
also.  I do a lot of intense disk writing and have reformatted my 40
Mbyte OSI hard disk a few times.  When this is done I have been getting
more and more bad sectors and such every time.  For preventative
reasons I wish to really format the hard disk to get it back close to
factory specs.

Thanks in Advance
ihnp4!alberta!auvax!kevinc (Kevin Crocker Athabasca University)
Do our employers have opinions or is that what we get paid for!

justin@inmet.UUCP (11/04/87)

/* Written  3:33 am  Oct 30, 1987 by woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP in inmet:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
/* ---------- "low-level format" ---------- */
I am told by some that I may be able to solve my problems with a low-level
reformat of the hard-disk, but I do not have the software to do so. If anyone
happens to have a PD formatter, please let me know... By the way the hard disk
is a trashy CMI 20 meg. in one of those first 2000 AT's to roll off the assembly
line of IBM...
/* End of text from inmet:comp.sys.ibm.pc */

I assume, from this, that it is an AT that this problem is with. Well...

My former company had to figure out how to sand-blast a disk some while ago;
we had installed Xenix on an AT, and couldn't figure out any way to get it
off. The answer, we discovered after much research, was a disk called
something like "IBM PC AT Advanced Diagnostics", which is normally only
available to dealers. We purchased a copy (for something like $200 -- this
isn't necessarily a cheap solution), and that proved to have a low-level
format option. (Nice option, too -- you have to go through about six levels
of confirmation before it will actually sand-blast the disk).

				-- Justin du Coeur

Dion_L_Johnson@cup.portal.com (11/08/87)

Once your disk has been low-level formatted, you dont need to do
it again unless you spawn new bad tracks.  Often this does NOT happen.
If it does, then you can do the low level format in several ways.
1. For IBM AT class machines with WD controller, there's a BIOS
address you can branch to which does the job.  See your controller/disk
manual.
2. Use one of several low-level format programs: SPeedstor is one I
know of.  I have seen some Public Domain ones; log in to your local
friendly BBS and search.
3. The IBM Advanced Diagnostics do the same thing.

However, if your disk is OK, but you just need to scrape off DOS
or XENIX, then run FDISK, from a booted DOS floppy. It will remove
any partitions you have, and let you create a new DOS partition.
If you are moving TO XENIX, you can just run a normal installation
which invokes XENIX fdisk (lets you create a XENIX partition to
cohabit with your DOS), as well as the "badtrk" utility which
deals with bad tracks.

If you are aiming at DOS, then after your low-level format, you need
to do a "high" level format, using the FORMAT command.  Remember to
use the /s option if you want a bootable hard disk.

If you cant find the low format stuff, email me and I will
send you some items which have come through in this conference that
are more specific.