[comp.sys.ibm.pc] new floppy format proposal

tim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Timothy L. Kay) (10/25/87)

It seems to me that when I format a double-density floppy on a high-
density system, the first half of the tracks always format OK.  This
is because the actual cylinders are longer on the outside of the disk
compared to the inside of the disk, so the media density is greater.
After about 60-70 tracks, lots of bad sectors start showing up.  Because
of this, I am reluctant to use low-density floppies formatted as high-
density floppies.

Here is a new idea which is mine.  My idea, which now follows is my idea. :-)

How about defining a new floppy format where the outside of the disk is
formatted high-density, and the inside is formatted low-density.  This
way, you should be able to comfortably and reliably pack about 800k-1000k
of data on the dirt-cheap floppies.  All you would need to do is rewrite
the DOS block device driver to recognize this special format automatically.

Any comments?

Is there anybody out there sufficiently familiar with all the necessary
stuff to do what I recommend?

Tim

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (10/27/87)

In article <4289@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> tim@cit-vax.UUCP (Timothy L. Kay) writes:
>Here is a new idea which is mine.  My idea, which now follows is my idea. :-)
>
>How about defining a new floppy format where the outside of the disk is
>formatted high-density, and the inside is formatted low-density.

The Macintosh already does this on 3.5-inch disks.  Except that the
disk head doesn't see the change in density, because the drive rotates
at different speeds depending on which cylinder is being accessed.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,ter.lcohowe'rp!sun!d

Dion_L_Johnson@cup.portal.com.UUCP (10/29/87)

I think the Victor PC used a type of floppy drive that had a variable
rotation speed, in order to accomplish more uniform (and therefore
greater) density recording on diskettes.

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (10/31/87)

In article <1155@cup.portal.com> Dion_L_Johnson@cup.portal.com writes:
|I think the Victor PC used a type of floppy drive that had a variable
|rotation speed, in order to accomplish more uniform (and therefore
|greater) density recording on diskettes.

True. The Victor kept the linear speed of the media constant relative to
the head. This allowed the data on the outer tracks to be packed as
densely as the data on the inner tracks. As I recall the number of
sectors per track was variable.

[ ... ]

|Here is a new idea which is mine.  My idea, which now follows is my idea. :-)
|
|How about defining a new floppy format where the outside of the disk is
|formatted high-density, and the inside is formatted low-density.  This
|way, you should be able to comfortably and reliably pack about 800k-1000k
|of data on the dirt-cheap floppies.  All you would need to do is rewrite
|the DOS block device driver to recognize this special format automatically.

High density diskettes have different coatings. The material used has a
higher hysterysis (it is harder to magnetize and demagnetize). I doubt
that a diskette which used one oxide on the inner tracks and one on the
outer would be dirt cheap. Victor got the only free lunch there was,
they pushed the outer tracks as hard as the inner.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

tim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Timothy L. Kay) (11/02/87)

In article davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>|How about defining a new floppy format where the outside of the disk is
>|formatted high-density, and the inside is formatted low-density.  This
>|way, you should be able to comfortably and reliably pack about 800k-1000k
>|of data on the dirt-cheap floppies.  All you would need to do is rewrite
>|the DOS block device driver to recognize this special format automatically.
>
>High density diskettes have different coatings. The material used has a
>higher hysterysis (it is harder to magnetize and demagnetize). I doubt
>that a diskette which used one oxide on the inner tracks and one on the
>outer would be dirt cheap. Victor got the only free lunch there was,
>they pushed the outer tracks as hard as the inner.

Bill, I think you've missed the point.

Your comment about different coatings on the outside and inside of
the disks doesn't make any sense.  Consider an existing high-density
floppy.  The medium has to have the higher hysterysis so that it can
provide a higher *linear density* on the inner tracks.  However, because
the outer tracks are moving more quickly, their linear density is
much higher than necessary.

Now consider a double-density floppy on a high-density machine.  The
effective linear density of the outer tracks is higher than that of
a high density floppy's inner tracks.  I was proposing that we do
just like they are doing on the Victor, but rather than increase the
speed of the drive on the outer tracks, we slow down the rate of the
bits being recorded when we get to the inner tracks.  (We do this by
switching the drive to and from high-density mode, which is something
the Victor machine couldn't do.)

This way, we could get more than a megabyte reliably on floppies that
cost $.25 each.

Have I made myself clearer?

Is anybody interested in having such a device driver?

Tim

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (11/05/87)

In article <4386@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> tim@cit-vax.UUCP (Timothy L. Kay) writes:
|In article davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
|>|How about defining a new floppy format where the outside of the disk is
|>| [ many things ]
|>High density diskettes have different coatings. The material used has a
|>higher hysterysis (it is harder to magnetize and demagnetize). I doubt
|>that a diskette which used one oxide on the inner tracks and one on the
|>outer would be dirt cheap. Victor got the only free lunch there was,
|>they pushed the outer tracks as hard as the inner.
|
|Bill, I think you've missed the point.
|
|Your comment about different coatings on the outside and inside of
|the disks doesn't make any sense.  Consider an existing high-density
[ I didn't use ;-) on that one because I assumed that everyone would
  understand that I was kidding. Obviously you didn't ]
|floppy.  The medium has to have the higher hysterysis so that it can
|provide a higher *linear density* on the inner tracks.  However, because
|the outer tracks are moving more quickly, their linear density is
|much higher than necessary.

[ this is exactly what Victor did, they put more data on the outer
tracks than the inner by slowing the disk rotational speed and thereby
putting the bit (flux changes) closer together, as they would be on the
inner tracks.  I'm glad you agree with me, but I wish you wouldn't
phrase it as though you were correcting what I said.

You can't use high density writes to a regular disk.  You need a high
density disk for high density writes because the coating is different.
You *can* slow the speed so that the flux changes are closer together at
normal density.  ]

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

burton@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Philip M. Burton) (11/06/87)

At the risk of sounding like an old f---, I think the last thing the world
needs is Yet Another Floppy Disk Format (YAFDF).  Even in today's IBM/clone
world, we already have 4 currently viable formats:

5 1/4" "standard" DS/DD
5 1/4" high-density

3 1/2" 720 KB
3 1/2" 1.44 MB

Guys, that's enough!!  When I worked at Shugart, the now gone disk drive
company, we did a calculation that demonstrated that the maximum increase
in capacity from using constant-bit density recording was 100%.  In practice,
the increase would be much less because of finite sector sizes, complexity
of motor speed controls, etc.

The 4X increase in capacity of the 5 1/4" high-density disk, at a much lower
increase in cost, definitely is the way to go.  Much higher capacities are
available in 5 1/4" in the laboratory, which are read-compatible with today's
formats.

However, even four formats is too many, if you have a big population of
systems or you are a software publisher.

Now, for those in the audience who never knew the joys of CP/M systems,
the lack of disk interchange was one of the notorious problems of that
environment.  Every different company, and there were so many in the
pre-IBM PC days, had a slightly different format.  I even have a file
of about 100 different 5 1/4" and 8" formats, specifying all the different
parameters that uniquely defined YAFDF.  The practical effect was to
kill interchangeability for all but 8" systems that could support the
old SS/SD.  There were, and still are, commercial programs that can
read and write "foreign" formats on CP/M systems.

All in the name of "progress", the customer was screwed.  That's not
progress, that's NIH-ism at its worst.  (Maybe not, RS232C may be worse.)

Flames to /dev/dysan and /dev/verbatim.

--
Philip Burton       burton.osbunorth@parcvax.COM
Xerox Corp.         .... !hplabs!parcvax!burton

ugfailau@sunybcs.uucp (Fai Lau) (11/06/87)

In article <7779@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>[ this is exactly what Victor did, they put more data on the outer
>tracks than the inner by slowing the disk rotational speed and thereby
>putting the bit (flux changes) closer together, as they would be on the
>inner tracks.  I'm glad you agree with me, but I wish you wouldn't
>phrase it as though you were correcting what I said.

	Does anyone know what the exact format of the 3.5 diskettes
is? When you slow the disk down, you'd have more cluster per
track. It seems that there are still disk space wasted because
you cannot put an additional cluster (or sector, depending
on what the formatting method is) on the next track out until
the track is "out" enough and the speed is slowed down enough
to allow enough space for it. What you'd get is a "staircase"
effect. Am I right?

>You can't use high density writes to a regular disk.  You need a high
>density disk for high density writes because the coating is different.
>You *can* slow the speed so that the flux changes are closer together at
>normal density.  ]

	The difference in the coating is the size of the magnetic
particles and their density. Otherwise the coatings are pretty
much the same for normal disk and high-dens disk. They might
also change the coating for the particles (not the disk coating
which *contains* the particle) for the difference in
roatation speed, if there is any. And off cause, you can
always write a high density disk with a normal drive..

Fai  Lau
SUNY at Buffalo (The Arctic Wonderland)
UUCP: ..{mit-ems|watmath|rocksanne}!sunybcs!ugfailau
BI: ugfailau@sunybcs

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (11/06/87)

In article <6343@sunybcs.UUCP> ugfailau@joey.UUCP (Fai Lau) writes:
>	The difference in the coating is the size of the magnetic
>particles and their density. Otherwise the coatings are pretty
>much the same for normal disk and high-dens disk. They might
>also change the coating for the particles (not the disk coating
>which *contains* the particle) for the difference in
>roatation speed, if there is any. And off cause, you can
>always write a high density disk with a normal drive..

No you can't.  Not reliably.  Regardless of whether or not the coating
on a HD diskette is physically similar to the coating on a normal
drive, the media has a higher coercivity, thus requiring a different
head assembly, one which can produce the levels of flux required to
change the state of the media.  Normal drives don't have it.

My intuition is that the coatings of a normal diskette and a HD diskette
are, in fact, quite different.  I don't have proof of this, but they
look different to my eye.

--
----------------
Michael J. Farren      "... if the church put in half the time on covetousness

ugfailau@sunybcs.uucp (Fai Lau) (11/08/87)

In article <300@gethen.UUCP> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
>>roatation speed, if there is any. And off cause, you can
>>always write a high density disk with a normal drive..
>
>No you can't.  Not reliably.  Regardless of whether or not the coating
>on a HD diskette is physically similar to the coating on a normal
>drive, the media has a higher coercivity, thus requiring a different
>head assembly, one which can produce the levels of flux required to
>change the state of the media.  Normal drives don't have it.

	Thanx for the comment. You're quite right. However, it only
applies in the situation where the coercivity of the media is indeed
higher than that of its regular density counterpart.
	In order to make a magnetic media HD suitable, there are
two things that should be done. One is to reduce the size of the
magnetic particles. Second is to increase its coercivity.
When the size of the magnetic particles are reduced, a narrower
track of a higher frequency signal can be recorded on the media,
while the maximum output level of the media increases. However, since
the increase of this output level due to the smaller particle size and
more densly packed particles generally does not adequately compensate
the decrease in the output level resulted from the
increase of signal frequency and narrowing of the recording
track (the higher frequency the signal you write on
a magnetic media, the lower it's output would be.
Except where the frequency is *very* low), soemthing
is usually done to the coercivity of the magnetic material to increase
its output level (and of course, to make it more stable).
	For a 5.25 HD disk instead of the mini 3.5 disk, I
don't know if the increase of the coercivity is warranted
to generate enough output signal strength. I am not
sure. If no increase is made, then the disk is indeed
usable in a regular density drive. But for something like
3.5 minidisk, such increase is a must.
	BTW, most of the time when the density of the magnetic
particles is increased on a media, their "shape" is changed, too.
They're more needle like and more uniform.

>My intuition is that the coatings of a normal diskette and a HD diskette
>are, in fact, quite different.  I don't have proof of this, but they
>look different to my eye.

	When a different type or chemistry of the magnetic particles is
used on a HD disk, it'll look different. But a mere change in
the size and shape of the particles should yield no visual difference.

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (11/09/87)

In article <6343@sunybcs.UUCP> ugfailau@joey.UUCP (Fai Lau) writes:
[ ... ]
>which *contains* the particle) for the difference in
>roatation speed, if there is any. And off cause, you can
>always write a high density disk with a normal drive..

I have not been able to write high density media in my 360k drives, have
others had other results? I tried Maxell and Verbatum, in a real AT, PC,
a Sperry IT and a Compaq 386. Could you mention which diskette brand and
disk or computer brand you used?
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)