[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Assembler for 80386

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (10/20/87)

Does anyone know if MASM 5.0 will support 386 instructions, and if not,
is there an assembler I can get that does (running under DOS or Unix)?

Thanx in advance.

Greg

kworrell@ccvaxa.UUCP (10/22/87)

Masm 5.0 (which I recieved yesterday as an FREE update to 4.0)
does handle the 386 instructions.  It also has the new codeview
which works properly on the Model 80.  The update comes with
the new 'bound' manuals and new versions of all the standard
utilities.

Codeview works properly with the 80386 instructions as well.

Hope this helps.

Kurt J. Worrell	                 USEnet:  ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!kworrell
Gould CSD-Urbana                 ARPAnet: kworrell@gswd-vms.arpa
1101 E. University               BELLnet: (217) 384-8500, x740
Urbana, IL 61801

damour@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (10/23/87)

Greg,
     I am looking at my copy of MASM 5.0 right now and the back of it says:

           New! Supports the 80386/80387 instruction set. Automatically
           generates the correct code for both 16- and 32-bit segments.

So there 'ya go!  Good luck,
Chris

damour@osiris.CSO.UIUC.EDU     |  Christopher D. Damour
damour%osiris.A.CS.UIUC.EDU    |  Rte. 541 Cumberland Arms Apt 3-J
damour@osiris@UIUC.ARPA        |  Burlington, NJ 08016
damour%osiris@UIUC.CSNET       |  (609) 387-4106
                               |-------------------------------------------
ihnp4--\                       |  Instant person, just add Coffee!
pur-ee---!uiudcs!osiris!damour |
convex-/                       |
*********************Wheew!  I'm glad that's done!**************************

clif@intelca.UUCP (Clif Purkiser) (10/23/87)

In article <354@picuxa.UUCP>, gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
> Does anyone know if MASM 5.0 will support 386 instructions, and if not,
> is there an assembler I can get that does (running under DOS or Unix)?
>
> Thanx in advance.
>
> Greg

Yes MASM 5.0 does support 386 instructions.

Other 386 assemblers include:

Phar Lap ASM-386 (DOS based) and it comes with a
run-time package which supports 386 32-bit protected mode programs

The assembler for Xenix 386
The assembler for Unix V/386

--
Clif Purkiser, Intel, Santa Clara, Ca.
{pur-ee,hplabs,amd,scgvaxd,dual,idi,omsvax}!intelca!clif

These views are my own property.  However anyone who wants them can have
them for a nominal fee.

perry@inteloc.intel.com (Perry The Cynic) (10/23/87)

In article <354@picuxa.UUCP> gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
>Does anyone know if MASM 5.0 will support 386 instructions, and if not,
>is there an assembler I can get that does (running under DOS or Unix)?
>Greg

Yes, MASM supports the 386 instruction set, including the 80387, both
nonprivileged and privileged instructions.
  -- perry
  <<  Perry The Cynic >>		   =>> perry@inteloa.intel.com <<=
				      ...!tektronix!ogcvax!omepd!inteloa!perry
   (Peter Kiehtreiber)				...!verdix!omepd!inteloa!perry

bright@dataio.Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (10/26/87)

In article <1157@omepd> perry@inteloa.intel.com (Perry The Cynic) writes:
#In article <354@picuxa.UUCP> gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
##Does anyone know if MASM 5.0 will support 386 instructions, and if not,
##is there an assembler I can get that does (running under DOS or Unix)?
#Yes, MASM supports the 386 instruction set, including the 80387, both
#nonprivileged and privileged instructions.

I wish MASM would support the 8087 fully. Like the complete set of FNxxx
opcodes. CodeView only partially supports the 8087. You can examine the
state of the 8087, but you cannot modify it.

apn@nonvon.uucp (Alex P Novickis) (11/12/87)

In article <354@picuxa.UUCP> gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
>Does anyone know if MASM 5.0 will support 386 instructions, and if not,
>is there an assembler I can get that does (running under DOS or Unix)?
>
>Thanx in advance.
>
>Greg

Yes, it does, both 386 AND 387....
  it also comes with the newest release of codeview ( v2.00 )

--
Alex P Novickis [software engineering consultant]            +1 707 575 9616
UUCP: {ames,sun,lll-crg,pyramid}!ptsfa!nonvon!apn            CS: [76056,601]