[comp.sys.ibm.pc] speaker

MJSCHMEL@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Michael J. Schmelzer) (11/10/87)

I have a friend who uses a program that is heavily
beep intensive, only the beeps the program emits
are useless and, worse, annoy those around him. So
I am asking you netFolx on behalf of the somewhat
annoyed colleagues of my friend:

IS THERE ANY WAY TO TURN THE SPEAKER OFF, SHORT OF OPENING THE BOX
AND CUTTING THE WIRES?

You know, something software based. I seem to remember 7 years ago
reading about the pc when it was introduced in Byte, and they said
the pc had all of these really neat "soft switches," one of which
controlled the speaker.

Seriously, somebody MUST have thought of a way to shut these puppies
up by now.

Reply by mail if you think this question is hopelessly elementary,
otherwise post it.

Thanks for your time. Share and enjoy!
comes around             Mike Schmelzer                  what goes around

guardian@laidbak.UUCP (Harry Skelton) (11/10/87)

In article <3795@pucc.Princeton.EDU> MJSCHMEL@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:

>IS THERE ANY WAY TO TURN THE SPEAKER OFF, SHORT OF OPENING THE BOX
>AND CUTTING THE WIRES?
>
>You know, something software based. I seem to remember 7 years ago
>reading about the pc when it was introduced in Byte, and they said
>the pc had all of these really neat "soft switches," one of which
>controlled the speaker.
>
>Thanks for your time. Share and enjoy!

There is a program called 'silence' that will kill most any speaker noise.
The only problem with running such a program is some other programs will
overwrite the code.  i.e. steal the interupt that the silence program was
taking. but this is rare and few between.

I'll see if I can't post you a copy in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

                             .---------.
Harry Skelton                :   .-.   :         --- other mail drops ---
guardian@laidbak.UUCP        :   `-'o  :         ihnp4!laidbak!ugh!bear
ihnp4!laidbak!guardian       :    O    :         ihnp4!chinet!stox!bear
                             `---------'
		The Far Seek ... Tales from the bad sector.
"As 'panic traps' appear across the console, Edward, once again, finds Harry
               scratching his back against the disk drives."

darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (11/10/87)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc, MJSCHMEL@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Michael J. Schmelzer) writes:

> I have a friend who uses a program that is heavily
> beep intensive, only the beeps the program emits
> are useless and, worse, annoy those around him. So
> I am asking you netFolx on behalf of the somewhat
> annoyed colleagues of my friend:
>
> IS THERE ANY WAY TO TURN THE SPEAKER OFF, SHORT OF OPENING THE BOX
> AND CUTTING THE WIRES?
     [ ... ]
> Thanks for your time. Share and enjoy!
> comes around             Mike Schmelzer                  what goes around
> ----------

     Unfortunately, while there is a bit that controls sound (on/off) going
to the speaker, many programs ensure that the bit is set to enable sound.
Simply turning off that bit will not always turn off sound.

     Fortunately, there is a PD or shareware, etc. program that can be used
in an attempt to turn off the speaker (via software).  It simply sits in
memory (it is a TSR) and turns off the speaker every time a timer interrupt
comes around (18.2 times a second).  This method works somewhat well; every
time a program tries to make a sound, the sound is cut off at the next
interupt.  In practice, the "sound" turns into a click, as there is sound
for a very short period of time.  Something like this may or may not be
what your friend is looking for.

     If you're interested in it, send Email, and I'll dig the program out
of my archives and mail you a uuencoded .ARC file.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	{hplabs!hpccc!, hpfcla!} hpsrla!darrylo
	CompuServe: 75206,3074

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
have been following him all day.

artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) (11/10/87)

   I've seen a public domain program on the boards here in San Diego that
allows you to disable the speaker. You might want to look around your local
boards for a file called SILENCE.ARC (or some similar name). That should take
care of the problem without having to cut any wires.

William_Herrera@milehi (William Herrera) (11/12/87)

Try SILENCE.ARC, a TSR utility on many BBS's. A warning: this is not
compatible with certain other programs that also toy with the clock.

---
 * Origin: * Excalibur * Boulder CO * 303-497-6673 (Opus 1:104/39)
SEEN-BY: 104/39 56

via FidoNet 104/56 Mile Hi Tech  (303-973-9338)
       uucp:  ...!{hao|isis}!scicom!milehi!oscar