[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Borland's secret agenda

cmaag@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Christopher N Maag) (11/10/87)

Hello --

Take a gander at page 81 of the new _Turbo_Technix_ magazine.
(I should point out that this magazine is put out by Borland Intl.
for their customers.  If you've registered any Borland product,
you should have gotten a copy by now.)  Anyway, this page's
illustration shows a stylized binary tree, with what appears to be
a bibliography of recent MS-DOS type magazine articles.  Take a good look
at some of the titles of the articles.  Take an especially good look
at the once with those famous (now) initials "OS/2".  For all of you
who are too lazy, or don't have this magazine, I'll list the titles
there.

"OS/2 at Minus One"
"The OS/2 Swindle"
"Will OS/2 Ever Happen"
"Curing OS/2 Fever"
"OS/2, Where Are You?"
"Who Cares About OS/2?"

These titles are mixed in with other, more innocent sounding titles.
Now, you don't think that Borland is trying to tell us something,
do you?  Naaaaah.

Chris
   From: cmaag@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
 bitnet: cmaag%csd4.milw.wisc.edu@wiscvm.bitnet
{seismo|nike|ucbvax|harvard|rutgers!ihnp4}!uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!cmaag

   From: cmaag@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) (11/12/87)

In article <3445@uwmcsd1.UUCP> cmaag@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (Christopher N Maag) writes:
-
-Take a gander at page 81 of the new _Turbo_Technix_ magazine.
-(I should point out that this magazine is put out by Borland Intl.
-for their customers.  If you've registered any Borland product,
-you should have gotten a copy by now.)  [...]

i'm wondering how many issues they'll send us before we're cut off! :-)

(i *know* someone is going to ask this: for those interested, _Turbo
Technix, The Borland Language Journal_, is published bimonthly; a one
year subscription (6 issues) is $49.95 to: _Turbo Technix_, Borland
International, Inc., 4585 Scotts Valley Drive, Scotts Valley, CA,
95066.)

--
                              michael regoli
                     indiana university, bloomington

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (11/16/87)

In article <423@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> regoli@silver.UUCP (michael regoli) writes:
>In article <3445@uwmcsd1.UUCP> cmaag@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (Christopher N Maag) writes:
>i'm wondering how many issues they'll send us before we're cut off! :-)
>
>(i *know* someone is going to ask this: for those interested, _Turbo
>Technix, The Borland Language Journal_, is published bimonthly; a one

[...subscription info deleted...]

The "Hello, world" editorial (obviously, a K&R fan :-) on page 6 of Turbo
Technix says that "your recent registration of a Borland Language or
toolbox entitles you to a 12-month free subscription" (6 issues worth).  I
wonder, though, if Borland will extend subscriptions if we buy more than
one language product (probably not, I guess).  It also appears that Borland
considers Quattro (their new spreadsheet) and Reflex "language products"
(from what I see in the magazine).

BTW: if you want a good laugh, take a look at the back cover of Technix.
One of the books advertised by McGraw-Hill there is "Using Sprint:  The
Professional Word Processor."  Great, a book for non-existent (as far as I
can tell) product!...todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Faculty Development Program
UUCP:		{ihnp4,uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd