[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Arc Program for UNIX

kwok@iris.ucdavis.edu (Conrad Kwok) (11/15/87)

I saw several questions about the ARC program. Someone ask:

> Why people use arc rather than compress? ... What is the origin of
> arc.		(the question is not exactly as above but similar)

The difference in size of most of the output from different compression
programs (Arc/Zoo/Compress/pkarc) are within 5%. I think the reason
people choose Arc/Zoo.pkarc is because it can combine several program into one
and you may selectively extract some or all files from the archived
file. Compress lacks this features. Furthermore, Arc/pkarc is almost
an standard archive software in the PC world.

Personally, I prefer pkarc on PC because of its speed and I prefer Zoo
on unix because it can handle directory, long file name and it is
compatible with the PC version so that I may transfer the archive
program between unix and my PC.

When we compare the speed of the programs on unix, compress is about 5
times faster than arc and it is about 2 times faster than zoo. That is
why I do not choose arc to use on unix to store my personal files.

I think the origin of Arc is from LBR and squeeze. LBR is a program to
collect several programs together without compression. It is very
common in the CP/M-80 era. Squeeze is another compression program
using Huffman coding. Actually arc does not do compression initially.
(I think the initial version is by System Enhancement Association as a
shareware.) Now we have a lot of arc compatible programs such as pkarc
and ARCE.

Arc has been implemented on many system including bsd4.2 and sysV.
The sources are available on simtel20 in the directory
pd:<unix.arc-lbr> But some reason, I cannot access to the
pd:<unix-****> directory in the last week. Moreover, I think the
sources have been posted before so you may look at the archive files
of Comp.sources.????. If you still cannot find it, I may e-mail the
sources to you.

Remark: The bsd42 version of arc also works on bsd43 and ultrix.

-- Conrad

internet: kwok@iris.ucdavis.edu
csnet: kwok@ucd.csnet
csnet: kwok%iris.ucdavis.edu@csnet.relay
uucp: {lll-lcc, ucbvax ...}!ucdavis!iris!kwok

cclin@brillig (Chih-Chen Lin) (11/16/87)

In article <490@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> kwok@iris.UUCP (Conrad Kwok) writes:
>The sources are available on simtel20 in the directory
>pd:<unix.arc-lbr> But some reason, I cannot access to the
>pd:<unix-****> directory in the last week. Moreover, I think the
  ^^^^^^

I don't know when or why, but pd:<unix.****> has been moved to
	pd2:<unix.****>