[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Microsoft Mouse and Hercules Graphics Card

hermit@eddie.MIT.EDU (Greg Menounos) (11/04/87)

	Does anyone know how to tell the mouse driver that the card is
in graphics mode instead of text mode.  On a CGA, the driver
intercepts bios video calls and thus usually knows what mode the
screen is in.  There is no bios support for the Hercules card so this
method won't work with it.  Neverless, Microsoft's documentation
claims that the mouse software works with a Hercules card in graphics
mode.  Thanks,

			- Greg Menounos
			  hermit@eddie.mit.edu
			  mit-eddie!hermit

kevino@hpccc.HP.COM (Kevin Owen) (11/11/87)

/ hpccc:comp.sys.ibm.pc / hermit@eddie.MIT.EDU (Greg Menounos) /  8:47 pm  Nov  3, 1987 /

----------

apn@nonvon.uucp (Alex P Novickis) (11/16/87)

In article <5060013@hpccc.HP.COM> kevino@hpccc.HP.COM (Kevin Owen) writes:
>/ hpccc:comp.sys.ibm.pc / hermit@eddie.MIT.EDU (Greg Menounos) /  8:47 pm  Nov  3, 1987 /
>
>	Does anyone know how to tell the mouse driver that the card is
>in graphics mode instead of text mode.  On a CGA, the driver
>intercepts bios video calls and thus usually knows what mode the
>screen is in.  There is no bios support for the Hercules card so this
>method won't work with it.  Neverless, Microsoft's documentation
>claims that the mouse software works with a Hercules card in graphics
>mode.  Thanks,
>
>			- Greg Menounos
>			  hermit@eddie.mit.edu
>			  mit-eddie!hermit

	It's quite simple.  You don't need to.  The microsoft device
driver takes care of this for you, as it intercepts int 10 expressly
for this purpose.   If, however, you chose to set the mode in some
perverse mannor ( read; not thru int 10 ), then don't expect things
to work correctly.  How do *I* know this... well.. that is a subject
all in and of itself!

--
Alex P Novickis [software engineering consultant]            +1 707 575 9616
UUCP: {ames,sun,lll-crg,pyramid}!ptsfa!nonvon!apn            CS: [76056,601]