[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How to match up directories on different drives - query

burton@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Philip M. Burton) (10/30/87)

I do my backup by subdirectory onto floppies from my hard disk.  Each
subdirectory has its own floppy or set of floppies.

I would like a method to have a floppy in either drive A: or B: automatically
cd to the same subdirectory as the subdirectory on disk C:, or match up the
subdirectory on C: to the subdirectory on drive A: or B:.

Any suggestions?

Ideally, this method would work in a batch file, and return an error code
if the cd operation failed.

--
Philip Burton       burton.osbunorth@parcvax.COM
Xerox Corp.         .... !hplabs!parcvax!burton

guardian@laidbak.UUCP (Harry Skelton) (11/05/87)

In article <594@parcvax.Xerox.COM> burton@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Philip M. Burton) writes:
>I do my backup by subdirectory onto floppies from my hard disk.  Each
>subdirectory has its own floppy or set of floppies.
>
>I would like a method to have a floppy in either drive A: or B: automatically
>cd to the same subdirectory as the subdirectory on disk C:, or match up the
>subdirectory on C: to the subdirectory on drive A: or B:.
>
>Any suggestions?

I would get a copy of 3.3 Dos and use the program XCOPY.  You can do an
XCOPY \dir A: /s (this tells to copy all sub. dirs.) or XCOPY A: \dir /s.

Read the manual for more ways to do this.  Other than that You'd have to
hard code a batch file to follow directory trees.

You could get the MKS toolkit and use CPIO to copy (this way your directory
can be larger than the disks).

                             .---------.
Harry Skelton                :   .-.   :         --- other mail drops ---
guardian@laidbak.UUCP        :   `-'o  :         ihnp4!laidbak!ugh!bear
ihnp4!laidbak!guardian       :    O    :         ihnp4!laidbak!laipc!bear
                             `---------'
	    "An MS-DOS Man working in a Unix(tm) world....Gee!"

joel@peora.UUCP (11/05/87)

Burton) writes:
> I do my backup by subdirectory onto floppies from my hard disk.  Each
> subdirectory has its own floppy or set of floppies.
>
> I would like a method to  have  a  floppy  in  either  drive  A:  or  B:
> automatically  cd  to  the same subdirectory as the subdirectory on disk
> C:, or match up the subdirectory on C: to the subdirectory on  drive  A:
> or B:.

Under DOS 3.2 or above XCOPY makes a good utility  to back up this way
since you can set it to automatically copy subdirectories and to only
copy files that have the archive bit set, then reset it. This way you
only back up files that have actually been changed or created since
your last backup. You copy XCOPY to the name MCOPY to avoid cetain
prompts by the program. For instance I have a BACK.BAT that looks
something like this (I'm doing this from memory)

pushdir
cd \
mcopy c:%1 b: /s /m /v
popdir

So to back up subdirectory AUTO, I would put the AUTO floopy in the
B drive and enter BACK AUTO. Any files I changed would be copied
to the AUTO directory on the floppy.

I might have put a %1 after b:, I don't remember, but it does put the
files in a subdirectory on the floppy (a 720kb in this case). This is
handy since I sometimes back up several small subdirectories to one
floppy.

This doesn't work if the subdirectory is too large for one floppy, then
I use two utilities from PC Magazine, BAC and ATTR. BAC will put all
the selected files on one or several floppies, while ATTR lets me reset
the archive bits so I can identify what I need to back up.
--
     Joel Upchurch @ CONCURRENT Computer Corporation (A Perkin-Elmer Company)
     Southern Development Center

Cynthia_M_Lloyd@cup.portal.com (11/10/87)

I would highly recommend a copy of Patriquin's PCOPY65.  Among its other
attributes is the ability to copy from one disk (ette) to another and create
matching subdirectories as it goes.  A SUPER program ... easier and more
comprehensive than DOS 3.3 XCOPY.

kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin Barry Crocker) (11/13/87)

In article <1368@cup.portal.com>, Cynthia_M_Lloyd@cup.portal.com writes:
> I would highly recommend a copy of Patriquin's PCOPY65.  Among its other

Cynthia, Thanks for the tip on PCOPY65.  Now, where can we get it from?

ihnp4!alberta!auvax!kevinc (Kevin Crocker Athabasca University)
Do our employers have opinions or is that what we get paid for!

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (11/16/87)

>/ hpindda:comp.sys.ibm.pc / Cynthia_M_Lloyd@cup.portal.com
>
>I would highly recommend a copy of Patriquin's PCOPY65.  Among its other
>attributes is the ability to copy from one disk (ette) to another and create
>matching subdirectories as it goes.  A SUPER program ... easier and more

XTREE also has this capability.

--- just a satisfied user,
    John Hardin