[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Logitech Mouse

brb@philabs.UUCP (10/30/87)

I am considering purchasing the Logitech Mouse.  Is it a reasonable device?
Also, I would like to know if the bundled packages, with Logicad or Logipaint
are worthwhile.  I own a PC-AT, and I would like to provide a friendlier
interface for my wife, who otherwise will not use it.

I am also interested in mouse oriented draw packages.  Is there anything
resembling MacDraft available for the PC-AT?

alan@pdn.UUCP (11/02/87)

In article <1925@briar.Philips.Com> brb@philabs.Philips.Com (Brian Bertan) writes:
>I am considering purchasing the Logitech Mouse.  Is it a reasonable device?

Yes, pretty good.  We use it to run Smalltalk/AT on PC's LTD 386 boxes.
We're happy with it.  However, like all mechanical mice, you have to
clean the mouse ball frequently (about once a week).

>Also, I would like to know if the bundled packages, with Logicad or Logipaint
>are worthwhile.  I own a PC-AT, and I would like to provide a friendlier
>interface for my wife, who otherwise will not use it.

We use Point, their mouse-based editor, which is rather good.  We don't
use Logicad or Logipaint, so I can't comment on that.  I can say that
their Modula-2 compiler is hot stuff (relative to other M2/x86 compilers :-) ),
and that they use it to develop their applications.

--alan@pdn

rps@homxc.UUCP (11/02/87)

In article <1700@pdn.UUCP>, alan@pdn.UUCP (Alan Lovejoy) writes:
> In article <1925@briar.Philips.Com> brb@philabs.Philips.Com (Brian Bertan) writes:
> >I am considering purchasing the Logitech Mouse.  Is it a reasonable device?
>
> Yes, pretty good.  We use it to run Smalltalk/AT on PC's LTD 386 boxes.
> We're happy with it.  However, like all mechanical mice, you have to
> clean the mouse ball frequently (about once a week).

> --alan@pdn

I have had a Logitech mouse for about 9 months and havent had to clean it
yet.  Of course, I don't run it around on the floor :-), and I do
clean the portion of the desk that it runs on about once a month.

elric@csustan.UUCP (Elric of Imrryr) (11/08/87)

>In article <1925@briar.Philips.Com> brb@philabs.Philips.Com (Brian Bertan) writes:
>>I am considering purchasing the Logitech Mouse.  Is it a reasonable device?

Well the drivers don't work with Double DOS by Softlogic, which is a
minor inconvience. I use a Logitech Mouse, and find it pretty good, and
fairly easy to add 'mouse-control' to most programs.

--
elric	Lunatic Labs @ Csustan {lll-crg,lll-lcc}!csustan!elric
Reality is what ever you can get away with! | The info on cracking DES will be

psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (11/11/87)

In article <1925@briar.Philips.Com>, brb@philabs.Philips.Com (Brian Bertan) writes:
> I am considering purchasing the Logitech Mouse.  Is it a reasonable device?
> Also, I would like to know if the bundled packages, with Logicad or Logipaint
> are worthwhile.  I own a PC-AT, and I would like to provide a friendlier
> interface for my wife, who otherwise will not use it.

I have the bus version of the Logitech Mouse.  I like the mouse itself.
Logitech has a screen based mouse configuration program (pick speed,
button action, movement-to-arrow-keys mapping) that they sell to OEMs
(AT&T provides it with their keyboard mouse), but I didn't find it in
my Logitech disks.  Instead, they have a menu creation language and
compiler that's compatible with the Microsoft Mouse menus.  I haven't
played with it that much; it's powerful, but not very easy.  I'd love a
driver that emulated a joystick.

I have Generic CADD 3.0 (bought separately from PC Connection), but
don't use it much.  It seems slow (on an 8MHz 8086 system with no math
co-processor).  Logipaint (a.k.a. PC Paintbrush) seems clumsier than
MacPaint.  My son and nephews like it.  I bought the Logipaint
combination from Programmer's Connection, and I'm satisfied with them,
too.

Both programs look very nice in AT&T 640x400 resolution.

> I am also interested in mouse oriented draw packages.  Is there anything
> resembling MacDraft available for the PC-AT?

I would *kill* for a MacDraw/MacPaint combo like SuperPaint on the PC.
(And then I'd wish for a laser printer.)

-Paul S. R. Chisholm, {ihnp4,cbosgd,allegra,rutgers}!mtune!lznv!psc
AT&T Mail !psrchisholm, Internet psc@lznv.att.com
I'm not speaking for my employer, I'm just speaking my mind.

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (11/16/87)

>I am having a problem with my mouse. I am running a 10mhz AT system and
>when I barely move the mouse, the thing goes bananas and runs across the
>screen. Ex. I'm in the left corner of the screen. I move the mouse MAYBE
>1/16 of an inch and the cursor is now on the other side.
>
>I am using the software that came with the mouse to test it out with,
>but its starting to really discourage me. Any ideas?

I had the same problem on my system when running at 8mhz, although
it worked fine at 6mhz.  The problem is that your mouse driver is
version 3.1 or earlier.  You need version 3.2 of mouse.com or
mouse.sys.  I called Tech Support at Logitech and they sent me
a floppy with the newer version right away (I got it in two days).
I don't have the number with me, but it should be in your manual.

   John Hardin
   -----