[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 1.44Meg microfloppy drive

kad@ttrdc.UUCP (Keith Drescher) (11/14/87)

Does anyone out there know how to interface a 3.5" microfloppy
drive to a PC/XT or a PC/AT?   I don't need the hardware info, as
I an manage that, but does anyone know where I can get a DRIVER
for one of these drives.  PC-DOS 3.3 and MS-DOS 3.2 come with
drivers that allow the use of a 720K microfloppy, but not a
1.44Meg.   Alternatively, tips on writing my own would be appreciated,
but it's unlikely that I'll ever have time to get to it.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give.

Keith Drescher (..!ihnp4!ttrdc!kad`
--
Keith Drescher (kad@ttrdc)          	   | ... You can check out any
AT&T                                       | time you like - but you can

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) (11/16/87)

In article <1968@ttrdc.UUCP>, kad@ttrdc.UUCP (Keith Drescher) writes:

> Does anyone out there know how to interface a 3.5" microfloppy
> drive to a PC/XT or a PC/AT?   I don't need the hardware info, as
> I an manage that, but does anyone know where I can get a DRIVER
> for one of these drives.  PC-DOS 3.3 and MS-DOS 3.2 come with

I think you DO need hardware information. I beleive the data transfer
rate to these drives is 600 kHz which is not supported by regular
PC, XT or AT floppy controllers.  The only way I have seen to date
is a card from Micro Solutions called Compaticard. This supports
3.5", 5", 8", single and double density, 360k, 720k, 1.2Meg, 1.44 Meg
and comes with a software driver. You can put up to 4 of these in
a single PC or AT and as each handles up to 4 drives, control up to
16 drives !!.  Costs $175 and is a half card size.

Mike Gingell   ...mcnc!ecsvax!mjg

kad@ttrdc.UUCP (11/17/87)

In article <4165@ecsvax.UUCP> mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) writes:
>In article <1968@ttrdc.UUCP>, kad@ttrdc.UUCP (Keith Drescher) writes:
>>
>> Does anyone out there know how to interface a 3.5" microfloppy
>> drive to a PC/XT or a PC/AT?   I don't need the hardware info, as
>> I an manage that, but does anyone know where I can get a DRIVER
>> for one of these drives.  PC-DOS 3.3 and MS-DOS 3.2 come with
>
>I think you DO need hardware information.......
.
I don't need hardware information because I
all ready have it.
.
I also have a floppy controller which will
support a 1.44M drive if the operation
system knows how to do it.
.
The problem remains that I need a driver
that tells MSDOS how to handle these things.
.
If anyone knows where I can get such a thing
before the release of MSDOS Ver3.2 R2.02, please
let me know.
.
. the things
. you have