[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Copying Lotus 1A*

sjreeves@gt-eedsp.UUCP (sjreeves) (11/14/87)

I would be in hard-disk heaven if someone could put me onto a patch that
would allow me to get around the copy-protection on my Lotus, V. 1A*.
I've seen one suggestion on a couple of bulletin boards, but my version
must be a little different because I don't find the code that's supposed
to be at a specified address.  If anyone knows how to help me with this,
I would appreciate it.  Send e-mail or post.  Thanks.

mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) (11/17/87)

In article <128@gt-eedsp.UUCP> sjreeves@gt-eedsp.UUCP (sjreeves) writes:
>I would be in hard-disk heaven if someone could put me onto a patch that
>would allow me to get around the copy-protection on my Lotus, V. 1A*.
>I've seen one suggestion on a couple of bulletin boards, but my version
>must be a little different because I don't find the code that's supposed
>to be at a specified address.  If anyone knows how to help me with this,
>I would appreciate it.  Send e-mail or post.  Thanks.

(I found the following article sometime ago, original author unknown.
I haven't tried it because I use Version 2 of Lotus.  However, others
have tried it and found it works fine.  Good luck.)

There is another version of Lotus 123 also called Release 1A but
with a different copy protection technique.  It can be identified
by an "*" that displays on the first screen under the "s" in the
word "Release."

	Release 1A
	     *

To unprotect this version so it can be run on a hard disk without
requiring the System Disk in drive A, do the following:

1.  RENAME	123.EXE	  123.XYZ
2.  DEBUG	123.XYZ
3.  type	U  ABSC		press ENTER

	You should see MOV  CX,0002  if you don't, something is
	different and this won't work.

4.  type	E  ABSC C3	press ENTER
5.  type	W
6.  type	Q
7.  RENAME	123.XYZ  123.EXE

That's it.  It will now run from any drive.  As always, this patch
is provided so that honest people don't have to suffer the incovenience
imposed upon them by software manufacturers.

mdf@tut.UUCP (11/19/87)

In <128@gt-eedsp.UUCP> sjreeves@gt-eedsp.UUCP (sjreeves) writes:
>I would be in hard-disk heaven if someone could put me onto a patch that
>would allow me to get around the copy-protection on my Lotus, V. 1A*.

Buy a copy of COPYIIPC from Central Point Software.  Your local dealer
and most mail order joints should have it.  It costs about $40 and will
back up almost everything, and will unprotect many programs in the
process.

Yes, it works on Lotus 1A, as well as all more recent versions.

I am merely an overjoyed customer of Central Point, and have no other
relationship with them.

--
Mark D. Freeman							(614) 262-3703
StrongPoint Systems, Inc.			    mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu