[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Info regarding Targa Board for IBM-PC

bmh@unc.cs.unc.edu (Brad Hemminger) (11/17/87)

  We are considering the purchase of a Targa 16 (AT&T) graphics board
for use in an IBM PC.  The major use will be to digitize every n frames
from a VCR tape, do some image processing on the frames and save info
to the hard disk.
  If you have experience with the Targa 16 or other Targa boards for this
or simliar applications I'd like to hear about it.   I'm interested
in finding out what software exists for controlling/using the
Targa board from a C compiler on the PC (Aztec/Microsoft).  Public,
shareware, commercial (not too expensive!) packages are all of interest,
with special interest in image processing type library packages.
  (PS.  quick responses appreciated, we have to sign purchase order
this week).

					Thanks,
						Brad Hemminger
						Dept Radiology
						UNC
						bmh@unc

hundt@wind.UUCP (11/18/87)

In article <2075@unc.cs.unc.edu> bmh@unc.UUCP writes:
>or simliar applications I'd like to hear about it.   I'm interested
>in finding out what software exists for controlling/using the
>Targa board from a C compiler on the PC (Aztec/Microsoft).  Public,

The Truevision people (AT&T EPICenter) don't mention anything germane
in their Truevision News (newsletter); although they do list a number
of 3rd party packages, add-ons etc.  No low-level interfaces.

However, there is a package called "Halo" which supports an amazing
number of standard and non-standard video display devices; this is
a C-linkable library (we use it with Turbo C, and previously with
MSC and Lattice I believe).  Note:  I don't think anyone here has used
Halo with our Targa boards; I merely checked the manual's lists of
supported products.

Halo is from: Media Cybernetics, Inc.
              8484 Georgia Ave. Suite 200
              Silver Spring, MD  20910         301/495-3305

Good luck!

 /-^-\  Thomas M. Hundt / BELLCORE Morristown NJ / hundt@bellcore.bellcore.com
 |   |  {seismo|ihnp4|ucbvax|decvax|ulysses|allegra|clyde}!bellcore!hundt
/--_--\

john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) (11/20/87)

In article <2075@unc.cs.unc.edu>, bmh@unc.cs.unc.edu (Brad Hemminger) writes:

>   We are considering the purchase of a Targa 16 (AT&T) graphics board
> for use in an IBM PC.  The major use will be to digitize every n frames
> from a VCR tape, do some image processing on the frames and save info
> to the hard disk.

I use a targa-16 on an AT and find it quite a nice board.  If you mean
you want to digitize n contiguous frames at a time you won't be able to
do it without putting some identifying mark on each frame and reading
the tape n times since you can't read the info out of the frame buffer
as fast as it comes in with realtime video (it takes about 5-10 frame
times to read out the buffer).  If you want every n'th frame then there
will be no problem as ong as n is reasonably large.  Of course maybe
you are using a frame-by-frame vtr in which case my comments don't apply.

Also if you use the targa to capture fields you should know that what
you get is odd field even pixels, odd field odd pixels, even field even
pixels, even field odd pixels - i.e. there is no superposition.

hope this helps,
		john