[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IMS clones

myb@philabs.Philips.Com (Michael Bakhmutsky) (11/17/87)

Did anybody hear about  IMS (Intelligent Micro Systems) offering clones
from San Antonio, Texas by mail order ? Interested in reliability of both
the company and their IMS-286 EGA Color System with a Samsung monitor.

raj@spl1.UUCP (11/19/87)

In article <1981@briar.Philips.Com> myb@philabs.Philips.Com (Michael Bakhmutsky) writes:
>Did anybody hear about  IMS (Intelligent Micro Systems) offering clones
>from San Antonio, Texas by mail order ? Interested in reliability of both
>the company and their IMS-286 EGA Color System with a Samsung monitor.

The IMS Clones are the same as PC Source, Compu-ADD, Bentley and another
bunch of companies all under the same ownership umbrella but marketing
under different names so they can get more than one *BITE*OF*THE*APPLE*.

Maybe you like the look of one add vs. the other, maybe you heard something
bad about one and nothing about the other.  Sometimes they get to experiment
with pricing the same product at different levels, ie. you'll pay more
for a clone advertised in four color print ads than one in lack and white.

There was an interesting article about this multi company *IDENTITIES*
about 6 months ago in PC Week.

So... Your request should be broadened to include the other trade names.

Bob Johnson
...ihnp4!spl1!raj

marcos@caus-dp.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) (11/20/87)

In article <1981@briar.Philips.Com>, myb@philabs.Philips.Com (Michael Bakhmutsky) writes:
> Did anybody hear about  IMS (Intelligent Micro Systems) offering clones
> from San Antonio, Texas by mail order ? Interested in reliability of both
> the company and their IMS-286 EGA Color System with a Samsung monitor.

I purchased an IMS-286 10Mhz system from IMS over a year ago. I only bought the
computer with 1M Ram and 1 1.2M disk drive. So far I have had no problems with
the system whatsoever other than LOADS of dust floating around. I'm really
happy with the system. Everything that I've installed so far works perfectly...

I've put in a Logitech mouse (still some problems here, but I've been informed
that they are software only), VEGA Deluxe +, Hercules graphics card, Everex
multifunction board with 2 serial, parallel, 2M RAM, and a game port.
Also have an additional 2 serial ports and a bunch of other stuff. No problems
so far that weren't operator error or programming problems!

I liked it and the cost for my system is over $1000 less than it was when I
bought it back then. And I saved a bundle back then!

Marcos Della

--
...!lll-crg -> !csustan -\                           | Whatever I said doesn't
            ...!sdsu ----->->!polyslo!caus-dp!marcos | mean diddly as I forgot