[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Slotless tape backup?

norm@ontenv.UUCP (11/18/87)

We have about 20 PC-AT compatibles in my office. We wish to implement
a procedure of regular backup of all of them. The cost of putting an
interface card in each of these units would be prohibative and for
that matter some of the machines have no free slots.

Is anyone aware of a cartridge tape backup system which plugs into the
serial or parallel port or the disk controller.

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utzoo!lsuc!ncrcan!---\			VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623

marks@milano.UUCP (11/21/87)

In article <221@ontenv.UUCP>, norm@ontenv.UUCP writes:
> We have about 20 PC-AT compatibles in my office. We wish to implement
> a procedure of regular backup of all of them. The cost of putting an
> interface card in each of these units would be prohibative and for
> that matter some of the machines have no free slots.
>
> Is anyone aware of a cartridge tape backup system which plugs into the
> serial or parallel port or the disk controller.

There are a number of PC products - the one I use (and am quite satisfied
with) is "Brooklyn Bridge" - which allow PCs to share peripherals generally
via their serial ports. Data transfer takes place at ~100kbaud (10KB/sec).
This is probably the best you can do serially, and it obviously isn't great
for full-disk backups; but it might be passible for incrementals.

It would be a bit tedious to use for 20 machines (i.e., attach the tape drive
permanently to one machine, connect the serial line to another, run a "slave"
program on the latter, reboot the former, run the dump on the master; repeat
19 times). On the other hand, it's handy for other things - harddisk-harddisk
file transfers, 5 1/4 - 3 1/2 floppy transfers (e.g., on/offloading laptops).

The Bridge comes from White Crane Systems, Norcross Georgia, (404) 394-3119,
~ $100US. There was a comparative review of similar products recently in one
of the PC magazines (but I forget which).

  |   Peter Marks, MCC, 9390 Research Blvd., Austin TX 78759   |
  |             (512)338-3349       marks@mcc.com              |
  | {gatech,harvard,pyramid,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!milano!marks |

hoctor@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (11/21/87)

I have been using the Micro Mountain 4000 tape drive on my AST.  This
unit operates through the floppy disk controller.  I have had good
luck with the unit (we have two in the office), but be warned that the
performance of these units is lackluster (limited by the floppy
controller) and will require twice the time of a divice using a card
in the bus.  Also be warned that the unit will not work on a PC class
machine (I guess those controllers are too slow).  We paid $600
dollars for our units; this is substantially less than the faster
units.  If you can put accept the speed of the MM 4000 (approx 20 min.
for 30 megabytes), it is a good move.  An additional consideration is
that the port that is installed in the back of the machine will occupy
a slot even though the slot is empty.  Adapters for additional
computers can be had for approx. $50.  This makes buying 1 or 2 units
for all machines fairly inexpensive.

hoctor@osiris

cuddy@convex.UUCP (11/23/87)

norm@ontenv.UUCP writes:
> We have about 20 PC-AT compatibles in my office. We wish to implement
> a procedure of regular backup of all of them. The cost of putting an
> interface card in each of these units would be prohibative and for
> that matter some of the machines have no free slots.
> Is anyone aware of a cartridge tape backup system which plugs into the
> serial or parallel port or the disk controller.

if you have separate floppy controllers in your machines, i.e.: not
multi-function boards with all sorts of goodies on them, then you can probably
replace them with what the Taiwan clone makers like to call a "Floppy for 4"
floppy disk controller.  This is a floppy disk controller that allows you to have up to 4 floppies on a system at once. the advantage that this gives you
is that you can use an IRWIN tape backup system with the PC's then (actually,
I think IRWIN makes one especially for thier system--about $100 for each
controller) the tape drives run about $500.00 as long as you try to buy from
a wholesaler.  If you go to Computer[land|craft] you will proably get bitten.
the Irwin tape drives are very good drives though.  I have used one myself in
the past (although, don't expect 100ips @ 6250!)

!inhp4!convex!cuddy
Mike Cuddy
CONVEX Computer Corp.