[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Where is my MSC 5.0

edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) (10/30/87)

Well October has come and is almost gone. Yet my mailbox is
still empty. Where is my MSC 5.0? Has anyone received it?
Did anyone else notice the ad for it in PC connection ads?
How much longer do we have to wait?

How do these companies get away with vaporware? Is MS vaporware
since Bill lost so much money?

mark
--
    edwards@vms.macc.wisc.edu
    {allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!edwards

ajm@k.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (10/30/87)

In article <1926@uwmacc.UUCP> edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) writes:
>Well October has come and is almost gone. Yet my mailbox is
>still empty. Where is my MSC 5.0? Has anyone received it?
>How much longer do we have to wait?

I too, was wondering, and called up Microsoft yesterday.  They claimed
that shipping would start today (friday), and they would ship on a first
ordered, first shipped basis. Also, in the latest issue of doctor dobbs
journal, an add for MSC 5.0 said "now shipping".  So if you ordered it
long ago, maybe a week or two more?  If not, well, it would still make a
nice Christmas present from Microsoft ... :-)

--

dan farmer
(ajm@k.cc.purdue.edu)

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (10/31/87)

In article <1926@uwmacc.UUCP> edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) writes:
|Well October has come and is almost gone. Yet my mailbox is
|still empty. Where is my MSC 5.0? Has anyone received it?
|Did anyone else notice the ad for it in PC connection ads?
|How much longer do we have to wait?

I believe thet MSC 5.0 is shipping now.

|How do these companies get away with vaporware? Is MS vaporware
|since Bill lost so much money?

Microsoft wasn't satisfied with the performance or reliability of the
compiler in beta test. The test was extended until all the problems were
fixed. When that seemed close, MS started the ads (there is a LONG lead
time), but held up the shipment when testing revealed more room for
improvement.

Some users blast a company for releasing a product before testing (I
could name about five major companies who ship a reliable product in the
third release). People complain when a company like MS doesn't ship on
time. The perfect company would test before announcing, but of course
they would go broke because the "ship when it run anything" companies
would have grabbed the business.

I see nothing wrong with advertizing a product when it's in beta test.
It lets the customer know that there is a reason to wait. I do object to
taking orders to finance software development (I know at least one
company which started that way).

Compare the first release of C from Microsoft, V3.0 (previous version
were from Lattice) with other compilers first release. I think the
seriousness of bugs was much lower in MSC. Each release has gotten
better, and the new version is fine indeed. I think you'll find it was
worth waiting for, and I wish I could give all my C students a chance to
use QuickC with Codeview.

I miss the point of Bill losing money. Was that as cheap a shot as it
sounds, or is there a relationship there?
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

nortond@killer.UUCP (10/31/87)

In article <1926@uwmacc.UUCP>, edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) writes:
> Well October has come and is almost gone. Yet my mailbox is
> still empty. Where is my MSC 5.0? Has anyone received it?
> Did anyone else notice the ad for it in PC connection ads?
> How much longer do we have to wait?

In July or August, I recieived a card that said it would ship in September.
In September, I received a letter saying that it would ship in October.
I called on October 29 to the number on the card to ask when they would
start shipping to which they replied, "today...you should receive it
next week".

October.  Just barely.

obie@dartvax.UUCP (11/01/87)

We've been in almost daily contact with Microsoft regarding
bugs in the MSC 4.0 product.  In the meantime, I always ask for
an updated shipping date for MSC 5/QuickC.  Sepetmber 1 is was October 1.
Sepetmber 15 it was mid-october.  October 1 it was late october, early
november.  Now they're saying it might be mid-november (just in time for the
Christmas rush).
(sigh)  at least THIS upgrade was free.  (The reward for finding, verifying,
and showing corrections for bugs in MSC 4).

Isaac_K_Rabinovitch@cup.portal.com (11/03/87)

Bill Davidsen:
->I see nothing wrong with advertizing a product when it's in beta test.
->It lets the customer know that there is a reason to wait. I do object to
->taking orders to finance software development (I know at least one
->company which started that way).
The problem isn't that companies advertise products that haven't passed
QA.  The problem is that there's no way from looking at the advertising
to distinguish companies who products are behind schedule from the purveyors
of vaporware.  Incidentally, even "reputable" companies have been known
to advertise products that don't even exist as specifications, just to
take the winds of their competitors sails.

Honest software advertising would indicate the planned release date instead
of always implying that product already exists.  This breaks with Madison
Avenue tradition and also cause the company some embarassment when dates
slip, but it would raise the most customers' trust in the company.  Of course,
the leading MS-DOS software companies have always had a "we don't care, we
don't have to" approach.

Isaac Rabinovitch
Disclaimer:  Just because I think you're wrong, doesn't
             mean I don't think you're a fun person!
:-)

richw@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Rich Wagenknecht) (11/05/87)

In article <1926@uwmacc.UUCP>, edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) writes:
> Well October has come and is almost gone. Yet my mailbox is
> still empty. Where is my MSC 5.0? Has anyone received it?
> Did anyone else notice the ad for it in PC connection ads?
> How much longer do we have to wait?
>
> How do these companies get away with vaporware? Is MS vaporware
> since Bill lost so much money?
>
> mark
> --
>     edwards@vms.macc.wisc.edu
>     {allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!edwards
>     UW-Madison, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706

No kidding. I mailed back my card as soon as I purchased MSC 4.0 this
summer. Remember the blurb: C 5.0 will be distributed on a first come
first serve basis, so mail your card immediately. Well Bill buddy,
I rushed out and bought MSC 4.0 and mailed my card in immediately in
order to 'reserve my copy of MSC 5.0'. What a fucking joke. I should
have waited. I see that EGGHEAD will ups you a MSC 5.0 within 3 days.
Boy, they sure must have bought lots of MSC 4.0 copies in order to
reserve so many  5.0 copies. Nice scam Bill. Let's see... (Bill speaking)
we've anounced MSC 5.0 way ahead of its release date and now people
are goind to delay purchases of MSC 4.0, better come up with a scam
to make sure our MSC 4.0 sales don't drop... God I'm pissed.
Ever thought of used car sales Bill????

mbate@inmet.UUCP (11/07/87)

   I just received my credit card bill and found that MicroSoft
   posted a charge for MSC 5.0 on October 22.  They originally claimed
   they wouldn't charge until they shipped.  Nothing's arrived from
   them, nor have I heard of anyone who actually has MSC 5.0 yet.

   -- Michael Bate

vollmer@manta.NOSC.MIL (Tom Vollmer) (11/07/87)

> In article <1926@uwmacc.UUCP>, edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) writes:
>> Well October has come and is almost gone. Yet my mailbox is
>> still empty. Where is my MSC 5.0? Has anyone received it?
......lines deleted

I called about 3 weeks ago.

"Are you shipping MSC 5.0?"
      "Yes"  (Order taking mode)
"Fine where are our 5.0 upgrades?"
	"We will be shipping next month."  (Order filling mode)

Sigh....Tom

davej@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Dave Jenner) (11/09/87)

In article <149000008@inmet>, mbate@inmet.UUCP writes:

>    I just received my credit card bill and found that MicroSoft
>    posted a charge for MSC 5.0 on October 22.  They originally claimed
>    they wouldn't charge until they shipped.  Nothing's arrived from
>    them, nor have I heard of anyone who actually has MSC 5.0 yet.
>
>    -- Michael Bate

Well, here goes, eventhough there will probably be a flood of messages
like this.  I received MSC 5.00 on Friday via UPS (regular).  It was
shipped the day before from across the lake.  So, it really does exist.
My credit card has been charged, according to the invoice, but I don't
know when (it may have been earlier than the shipping date).

--
Dave Jenner                     (206) 543-6182, 543-2888 (Message)
Department of Astronomy, FM-20  BITNET: davej@uwaphast

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (11/10/87)

In article <149000008@inmet> mbate@inmet.UUCP writes:
>   I just received my credit card bill and found that MicroSoft
>   posted a charge for MSC 5.0 on October 22.  They originally claimed
>   they wouldn't charge until they shipped.  Nothing's arrived from

Heck, I sent my check early in August and they cashed it right away.
I hope that Microsoft is making "good" use of all the interest they are
collecting on "our" $$$!

This is pretty typical of Microsoft.  They announce products early and
deliver them late and full of bugs.

I have nightmares about the kinds of problems I'm going to hear about
around here when OS/2 starts hitting campus...todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Faculty Development Program
UUCP:		{ihnp4,uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (11/12/87)

In article <149000008@inmet> mbate@inmet.UUCP writes:

|   I just received my credit card bill and found that MicroSoft
|   posted a charge for MSC 5.0 on October 22.  They originally claimed
|   they wouldn't charge until they shipped.  Nothing's arrived from
|   them, nor have I heard of anyone who actually has MSC 5.0 yet.

The last update offer that I got on a MS product expressly said that
they would clear checks and credit when received. I don'y have mine, but
could somone check theirs? I remember being pissed off that they
wouldn't hold it until the product was shipped.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

hart@cp1.BELL-ATL.COM (Rod Hart) (11/14/87)

I received mine yesterday. Unfortunately one disk hadn't even been
formated. I was still able to get most of it loaded and every thing
looks very good so far. Maybe it is worth the wait.
--
Signed by: Rod Hart (WA3MEZ)
	   Minicomputer Technical Support District

mbate@inmet.UUCP (11/16/87)

    I never expected to generate so much response to my remark that MicroSoft
    charged my credit card in October  (I now have MSC 5.0 - it must have
    been shipped early November, so it's not big deal for me.)

    However, I do specifically remember what the upgrade offer said about this.
    Checks would be cashed when received, credit cards would be charged when
    the product was shipped.  On MASM 5.0, which was not announced until it
    was ready to ship, they stated that credit cards would be charged upon
    receipt of your order.

    Now that I have MSC 5.0, I'm not sure whether to be pleased or not.  I have     one program that generates an internal compiler error - it compiled fine
    with MSC 4.0 and also with QuickC.  Another goes haywire when compiled
    with the /Oi (generate intrinsic versions of some functions) flag.

    On the other hand, QuickC is very nice for quickly cleaning up your
    compile-time errors and CodeView seems to be cleaner than before.

    - Michael Bate

alang@masscomp.UUCP (11/19/87)

In article <7838@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>The last update offer that I got on a MS product expressly said that
>they would clear checks and credit when received. I don'y have mine, but
>could somone check theirs? I remember being pissed off that they
>wouldn't hold it until the product was shipped.

or written.

Alan

Zatar_Braxana@milehi (Zatar Braxana) (11/22/87)

        I *know* they've shipped MSC 5.0, because one of the sysops

in my area has it. I'd call MS and start yelling!.

                Z.

---
 * Origin: * Excalibur * Boulder CO * 303-497-6051 (Opus 1:104/39)
SEEN-BY: 104/39 56
via FidoNet 104/56 Mile Hi Tech  (303-973-9338)
       uucp:  ...!{hao|isis}!scicom!milehi!oscar

nortond@mosys.UUCP (Daniel A. Norton) (11/25/87)

In article <14.21A69BAB@milehi> Zatar_Braxana@milehi (Zatar Braxana) writes:

>        I *know* they've shipped MSC 5.0, because one of the sysops
>
>in my area has it. I'd call MS and start yelling!.
>
>                Z.

I have my copy of MSC also, but it was a couple of days later than I
had expected.  I telephone Microsoft and the woman answering explained
that the delivery schedule is dependent on when you mailed Microsoft
your update request/money.  So, if you waited until October/September to
mail you update request, you will not have received it until after
all of the July/August folks receive theirs.

--
Daniel A. Norton				nortond@mosys.UUCP
c/o Momentum Systems Corporation	     ...uunet!mosys!nortond