[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MSC5.0 benchmarks

wrp@krebs.acc.virginia.edu (Wm Pearson) (11/18/87)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: MSC5.0 benchmarks
Expires:
	I received my copy of the MSC 5.0 Update on Monday, November 16.
The packing slip indicates that it was shippe on Nov. 4.
The package comes on 9 disks; one file on one of the disks (a library)
was unreadable.  Here are some early benchmarks, to put the advertising
hype in perspective:

	Using the dhrystone 1.1 benchmark, Turbo'C' produced 1785
dhrystones/sec (28 sec), MSC 5.0 (CL dhry.c) 1666 and (CL -Ox -Gs dhry.c)
1724 (29 sec).  On a rapid protein database searching program which
compares a 200 residue sequence with a library containing 1.6 X10^6
residues, Turbo'C' required 4:20 while MSC required 4:05.  MSC 5.0
compiled a large package of code previously written for MSC 4.0 (and
Turbo'C') with no problems.

	So Turbo'C' still has the edge, because of compilation time
and cost.  I like to distribute source code that other people can read
and modify, with Turbo'C' they can compile it for <$70.00.  (It also
requires a lot less disk space). But MSC
does contain a graphics library.  Unfortunately the MSC graphics library
appears to not support the hercules graphics cards.

	I wonder what Turbo'C' 2.0 will look like.

Bill Pearson
wrp@virginia.EDU
...!uunet!virginia, as

manes@dasys1.UUCP (11/21/87)

In article <274@krebs.acc.virginia.edu>, wrp@krebs.acc.virginia.edu (Wm Pearson) writes:
> MSC
> does contain a graphics library.  Unfortunately the MSC graphics library
> appears to not support the hercules graphics cards.
>
> 	I wonder what Turbo'C' 2.0 will look like.

I hope it supports EGA better than Turbo.  I have a fairly substantial
program that I've compiled successfully on Lattice and MSC 3.0 and which
makes extensive use of both the comm port and (if present) an EGA monitor.
Two years of writing, rewriting and debugging plus over a year of beta
testing on several sites with a variety of hardwares convince me that the
code is solid.  However, when I compiled with Turbo, the program routinely
hung the machine at random points when writing to EGA V-RAM.  I spent days
debugging the modest mods I made for Turbo C until I downloaded a
compiled-with-Turbo, executable MicroEMACS.  Like my program, it crashed
during screen update.

Hardware is a very-compatible Smartek AT and Mitsuba EGA, neither of which
has had graphics compatibility problems before.  Recompiling both my
program (Magpie) and MicroEMACS 3.9 using MSC3.0 and the problems
disappear.

+ Steve Manes         Roxy Recorders, Inc.                 NYC
+ decvax!philabs!cmcl2!hombre!magpie!manes       Magpie BBS: 212-420-0527
+ uunet!iuvax!bsu-cs!zoo-hq!magpie!manes              300/1200/2400

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (11/24/87)

In article <274@krebs.acc.virginia.edu> wrp@krebs.acc.virginia.edu (Wm Pearson) writes:
|	So Turbo'C' still has the edge, because of compilation time
|and cost.  I like to distribute source code that other people can read
|and modify, with Turbo'C' they can compile it for <$70.00.  (It also
|requires a lot less disk space). But MSC
|does contain a graphics library.  Unfortunately the MSC graphics library
|appears to not support the hercules graphics cards.

QuickC and TurboC have the same list price $99 (at least quoted in the
ad in front of me). I doubt that the discount prices vary much either. I
like QuickC because of the debugger and graphics.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

pre1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) (11/25/87)

In article <7954@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <274@krebs.acc.virginia.edu> wrp@krebs.acc.virginia.edu (Wm Pearson) writes:
>|	So Turbo'C' still has the edge, because of compilation time
>|and cost.  I like to distribute source code that other people can read
>|and modify, with Turbo'C' they can compile it for <$70.00.  (It also
>|requires a lot less disk space). But MSC
>|does contain a graphics library.  Unfortunately the MSC graphics library
>|appears to not support the hercules graphics cards.
>
>QuickC and TurboC have the same list price $99 (at least quoted in the
>ad in front of me). I doubt that the discount prices vary much either. I
>like QuickC because of the debugger and graphics.
>--
>	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
>  {uunet | philabs | seismo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen
>"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

Well, with Turbo C version 1.5, TC will be getting graphics ability at no
added cost.  It will supposedly support CGA, EGA, Hercules, VGA, and ATT 400.
Expected date of release:  Mid December.
TC has the advantage of giving you the option of command line or menu driven
in all models (apparently QC only has Medium in menu mode).  The debugger is
the only thing TC is lacking that it could really use (they are supposedly
working on one to be included with version 2.0).  I went with TC when it first
came out, having had good experiences with TP (and no good experiences with
MicroSoft) and have been pleased.  Not having enough $$ to get both and be able
to compare, I'll stick with TC.

		Grant Prellwitz

--
=====================Grant Prellwitz==========================
!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1          pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP

richardh@killer.UUCP (11/26/87)

In article <2773@sphinx.uchicago.edu>, pre1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) writes:
> In article <7954@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
> >In article <274@krebs.acc.virginia.edu> wrp@krebs.acc.virginia.edu (Wm Pearson) writes:
> >|	So Turbo'C' still has the edge, because of compilation time
> >|and cost.  I like to distribute source code that other people can read
> >|and modify, with Turbo'C' they can compile it for <$70.00.  (It also
> >|requires a lot less disk space). But MSC
> >|does contain a graphics library.  Unfortunately the MSC graphics library
> >|appears to not support the hercules graphics cards.
> >
> >QuickC and TurboC have the same list price $99 (at least quoted in the
> >ad in front of me). I doubt that the discount prices vary much either. I
> >like QuickC because of the debugger and graphics.
> >--
>
> Well, with Turbo C version 1.5, TC will be getting graphics ability at no
> added cost.  It will supposedly support CGA, EGA, Hercules, VGA, and ATT 400.
> Expected date of release:  Mid December.
> TC has the advantage of giving you the option of command line or menu driven
> in all models (apparently QC only has Medium in menu mode).  The debugger is
> the only thing TC is lacking that it could really use (they are supposedly
> working on one to be included with version 2.0).  I went with TC when it first
> came out, having had good experiences with TP (and no good experiences with
> MicroSoft) and have been pleased.  Not having enough $$ to get both and be able
> to compare, I'll stick with TC.

Add my vote for Turbo C. It is a very solid, versatile product. I still think
it's one of the best values (along with PCED) in MS-DOS software today.

And now a word (or two) about Turbo C version 1.5:

According to a Borland rep on CIS, Turbo C 1.5 started shipping Monday. The
two biggest additions are the graphics library (appears to be very thorough
and well done, but I'm not a graphics guru; it has everything I'll need)
and the additions/modifications to the standard screen output functions
to give them Turbo Pascal-like capabilities (your old friends gotoxy(),
wherex(), wherey(), window(), insline(), delline(), clrscr(), clreol(),
highvideo(), movetext(), textattr(), etc., etc. are back -- but they did
it right - you can ignore them if you wish and you'll never know they are
there.) On top of that are such things as stdprn and stdaux are automatically
defined, a fast version of grep, and a librarian utility. Other things
are the -I and -L options now support a multiple directory format and
the linker searches the -L directories for all libraries, including
user libraries.

Also, all known bugs were fixed.

On the downside, the bessel function package is still not part of the standard
libraries.

In case you are wondering, I was a beta tester for version 1.5.

I have never used Quick C, but the restriction to medium model is enough
for me to know I'm not interested. And I can't afford MS C 5.0.

richard hargrove
...!killer!richardh