[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 2 computers to 1 printer

egray@fthood.UUCP (11/23/87)

Hello netlanders ....

I need to build a cable to hook up 2 computers to one parallel printer.
I don't want a switch box...  I'd like to have both computers hooked
up at the same time (it won't be a problem to make sure that only one
of them is printing at one time).

Any suggestions, any ideas?

Emmet P. Gray				US Army, HQ III Corps & Fort Hood
...!ihnp4!uiucuxc!fthood!egray		Attn: AFZF-DE-ENV
					Directorate of Engineering & Housing
					Environmental Management Office
					Fort Hood, TX 76544-5057

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (11/24/87)

It may not be a problem from a software standpoint, but it is from
a hardware standpoint.    There's no way to guarantee that some lines
on the inactive machine won't have a signal asserted, so you have
to use a switch.

			Mike Berger
			Center for Advanced Study
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

jec@nesac2.UUCP (John Carter ATLN SADM) (11/30/87)

In article <7000007@fthood>, egray@fthood.UUCP writes:

> I need to build a cable to hook up 2 computers to one parallel printer.
> I don't want a switch box...  I'd like to have both computers hooked
> up at the same time (it won't be a problem to make sure that only one
> of them is printing at one time).

Try B&B Electronics - they advertise in BYTE.
They have lots of reasonably priced adapters/converters.
I think they have a 2 computers to 1 printer adapter - and it
handles the 'busy' signal
--
USnail: John Carter, AT&T, Atlanta RWC, 3001 Cobb Parkway, Atlanta GA 30339
Video:	...ihnp4!cuea2!ltuxa!ll1!nesac2!jec    Voice: 404+951-4642