[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How: 2 users on a PS2/80 ?

bose@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (11/24/87)

Thanks to everyone who has responded to several of my questions on
this notes file.  And, I still have more questions, if you don't mind.

I would like to have two users on a PS/2-80 running DOS applications.
Could I just connect a terminal two one of the serial ports and run
a multiuser program?  Does anyone know if such a program exists or
do I have to install a LAN.

Thanks again...

luner@ai.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner) (11/24/87)

IBM has announced a product called DOS Merge for the PS/2 Mod 80.
This product provides for the execution, by multiple users, of IBM DOS
Version 3.30 applications. DOS Merge is based on the MERGE/386 (tm, Lotus
Computing Corp) product developed by Lotus. Planned availability is 9/88,
cost $250.

For more information, please contact your local IBM Marketing Representative.
(or mail me).

David Luner
IBM Corporation
Madison, WI
608-273-5243

ralph@mtunf.UUCP (11/24/87)

In article <4728@spool.wisc.edu> luner@ai.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner) writes:
>IBM has announced a product called DOS Merge for the PS/2 Mod 80.
>This product provides for the execution, by multiple users, of IBM DOS
>Version 3.30 applications. DOS Merge is based on the MERGE/386 (tm, Lotus
You mean LOCUS not LOTUS.
>Computing Corp) product developed by Lotus. Planned availability is 9/88,
Once again that's LOCUS.

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (11/25/87)

In article <4728@spool.wisc.edu> luner@ai.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner) writes:
>IBM has announced a product called DOS Merge for the PS/2 Mod 80.
>This product provides for the execution, by multiple users, of IBM DOS
>Version 3.30 applications. DOS Merge is based on the MERGE/386 (tm, Lotus
>Computing Corp) product developed by Lotus. Planned availability is 9/88,
>cost $250.

Don't be mislead by the price associated with DOS Merge.   The $250
cost for IBM DOS Merge will *NOT* give you multiuser capabilities on
the PS/2 Model-80.  IBM DOS Merge requires AIX (IBM's version of UNIX).
And since IBM has completely unbundled AIX, it could cost you quite a
bit depending on how much of UNIX you need.

Here are the prices for the various AIX modules.

	AIX PS/2 OS	$595
	AIX Extensions	 250
	AIX DOS Merge	 250
	AIX Usability	 250
	Text Formatting	 200
	X-Windows	 195
	FORTRAN		 275
	Pascal		 275
	C		 275
	Development Kit	 175

For more information get a hold of the 17NOV87 IBM Customer Announcement
Letter Summary (I suspect a call to your local IBM rep would do the
trick if you are not on their mailing list)...todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Faculty Development Program
UUCP:		{ihnp4,uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd

rdo031@tijc02.UUCP (Rick Odle ) (11/30/87)

in article <1183@uhccux.UUCP>, todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) says:

> In article <4728@spool.wisc.edu> luner@ai.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner) writes:
>>IBM has announced a product called DOS Merge for the PS/2 Mod 80.
>>This product provides for the execution, by multiple users, of IBM DOS
>>Version 3.30 applications. DOS Merge is based on the MERGE/386 (tm, Lotus
>>Computing Corp) product developed by Lotus. Planned availability is 9/88,
>>cost $250.
>
> Don't be mislead by the price associated with DOS Merge.   The $250
> cost for IBM DOS Merge will *NOT* give you multiuser capabilities on
> the PS/2 Model-80.  IBM DOS Merge requires AIX (IBM's version of UNIX).
> And since IBM has completely unbundled AIX, it could cost you quite a
> bit depending on how much of UNIX you need.
>
> Here are the prices for the various AIX modules.
>
> 	AIX PS/2 OS	$595
> 	AIX Extensions	 250
> 	AIX DOS Merge	 250
> 	AIX Usability	 250
> 	Text Formatting	 200
> 	X-Windows	 195
> 	FORTRAN		 275
> 	Pascal		 275
> 	C		 275
> 	Development Kit	 175
>
> For more information get a hold of the 17NOV87 IBM Customer Announcement
> Letter Summary (I suspect a call to your local IBM rep would do the
> trick if you are not on their mailing list)...todd
>
> --
> Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Faculty Development Program
> UUCP:		{ihnp4,uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd
> ARPA:		uhccux!todd@nosc.MIL		BITNET: todd@uhccux
> INTERNET:	todd@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU

BTW, the company name is LOCUS not Lotus.

Rick Odle