[comp.sys.ibm.pc] uupc question

ross@isis.UUCP (Ross McConnell) (11/22/87)

I have gotten uupc running on my pc, but still have one problem. I am
trying to send mail to myself on another machine, say "foo". I have
set MAILSERV=foo on the pc. I send the message with the command
mail foo!myself < file, and everything gets queued up correctly. When
I run "uu", the file gets sent to "foo". However, when I log into
foo, there is no mail. When I examine the LOGFILE on foo, it turns
out that uucp has requeued the mail, and is now trying to rmail it
(on foo) to foo!myself. Why doesn't it realize that it has already
reached foo, and should now just rmail to myself?

wnp@killer.UUCP (11/24/87)

In article <2061@isis.UUCP> ross@isis.UUCP (Ross McConnell) writes:
>foo, there is no mail. When I examine the LOGFILE on foo, it turns
>out that uucp has requeued the mail, and is now trying to rmail it
>(on foo) to foo!myself. Why doesn't it realize that it has already
>reached foo, and should now just rmail to myself?

On all the UNIX systems I have ever worked on, if you send mail to
"system!user", where "system" is the local nodename, mail correctly
discards the "system!" part of the mail path. If this does not work
on "foo", there seems to be something strange about foo's mail software.

One way to fix that would be to go into UUPC's mail source, and put
in a check to see if the first part of the mail address is the same
as $MAILSERV, and to strip it off in the commands that are put into
the uucp spool files.

Wolf Paul
ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (11/30/87)

In article <2061@isis.UUCP>, ross@isis.UUCP (Ross McConnell) writes:
> I have gotten uupc running on my pc, but still have one problem. I am
> trying to send mail to myself on another machine, say "foo". I have
> set MAILSERV=foo on the pc. I send the message with the command
> mail foo!myself < file, and everything gets queued up correctly. When
> I run "uu", the file gets sent to "foo". However, when I log into
> foo, there is no mail. When I examine the LOGFILE on foo, it turns
> out that uucp has requeued the mail, and is now trying to rmail it
> (on foo) to foo!myself. Why doesn't it realize that it has already
> reached foo, and should now just rmail to myself?

It sounds like there is possibly a problem with the definitions
somewhere in foo's /usr/lib/sendmail.cf database.  The syntax of
the .cf file is pretty arcane and it's easy to make a minor goof.
I use precisely the method stated above to send mail from my pc to
my mailbox at neoucom.

Also make sure that you wait long enough for mail to get to your
mailbox.  Depending on the tuning of the mail system it might take
the mail half an hour to make it from the queue to your mailbox.
Between 8:00AM and 5:00PM, half hour delivery times aren't unusual
here at neoucom.  (Of course, neoucom is a *heavily loaded* vax 750
with average load factor around 4-6!)

Try logging into foo and locally mail foo!myself and see if things
blow up.  The mailer should be smart enough to recognize the name
of the machine it is running on.

Hope this is of use,
Bill

(would have emailed, but it bounced.  this is general interest too.)