[comp.sys.ibm.pc] uudecode and downloading

z7m8@sphinx.UUCP (12/01/87)

I have recently saved a bunch of uuencoded files off the network.
I then have extracted them using uudecode.  This then leaves me
with a binary arc format file.  I have then downloaded this file
using Kermit from the Pyramid (on which I access the network) to
my AT&T 6300 running DOS 2.11.  When I go to dearc the files,
though, I get a CRC error.  This has happened consistently over
at least three arc files sent in uuencode format.  Any suggestions?

-- Ari Zymelman

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (12/01/87)

>I have recently saved a bunch of uuencoded files off the network.
>I then have extracted them using uudecode.  This then leaves me
>with a binary arc format file.  I have then downloaded this file
>using Kermit from the Pyramid (on which I access the network) to
>my AT&T 6300 running DOS 2.11.  When I go to dearc the files,
>though, I get a CRC error.  This has happened consistently over
>at least three arc files sent in uuencode format.  Any suggestions?
>
>-- Ari Zymelman
----------

Kermit will default to text (7-bit) transfer.  You need to issue
the command "set file type binary" to Kermit before transmitting
the file.

wnp@killer.UUCP (12/02/87)

In article <2808@sphinx.uchicago.edu> z7m8@sphinx.uchicago.edu.UUCP (ari shlomo zymelman) writes:

>I have recently saved a bunch of uuencoded files off the network.
>I then have extracted them using uudecode.  This then leaves me
>with a binary arc format file.  I have then downloaded this file
>using Kermit from the Pyramid (on which I access the network) to
>my AT&T 6300 running DOS 2.11.  When I go to dearc the files,
>though, I get a CRC error.  This has happened consistently over
>at least three arc files sent in uuencode format.  Any suggestions?
>
>-- Ari Zymelman

Have you invoked kermit on the Pyramid with the 'i' flag? This is
required for binary files (as opposed to textfiles). If you
didn't, all instances of 0x0a (linefeed) got changed to the two-
character sequence CR/LF, which throws arc.

One quick way to check for that is to do a "ls -l" on the Pyramid,
and compare the size of the archive there with the size of the
archive on your 6300. If it is not exactly the same, then that might
be the cause of your problem.

Wolf Paul
ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp

nwc@cunixc.columbia.edu (Nick Christopher) (12/02/87)

Did you set kermits file type binary?

\n
--
		"I am the Lorvax. I speak for the machines."
nwc%cunixc@columbia, columbia!cunixc!nwc  BITNET: nwcus@cuvma

jgray@toad.pilchuck.Data-IO.COM (Jerry Late Nite Gray) (12/02/87)

In article <2808@sphinx.uchicago.edu>, z7m8@sphinx.uchicago.edu (ari shlomo zymelman) writes:

> I have recently saved a bunch of uuencoded files off the network.
> I then have extracted them using uudecode.  This then leaves me
> with a binary arc format file.  I have then downloaded this file
> using Kermit from the Pyramid (on which I access the network) to
> my AT&T 6300 running DOS 2.11.  When I go to dearc the files,
> though, I get a CRC error.  This has happened consistently over
> at least three arc files sent in uuencode format.  Any suggestions?

I too had this nearly identical problem  but in my case it was due to kermit
on both ends not being in the correct modes. If the modem connection is in
7 bit mode (like ours) then you have to be sure that the '8th bit quote
character' feature is operating on both ends. (In Procomm kermit this is
accomplished by having the port in 7 bit mode and "File type" option set
to "binary".) I also recall that having the "space" parity mode was also
important.

Furthermore, the corresponding kermit on our Unix systems required the
"-i" option so that is would send the file without any conversions.

---------------
					Jerrold L. Gray

UUCP:{ihnp4|caip|tektronix|ucbvax}!uw-beaver!tikal!pilchuck!jgray

USNAIL:	10525 Willows Road N.E. /C-46
	Redmond, Wa.  98052
	(206) 881 - 6444 x470

Telex:  15-2167

ccoprrd@pyr.gatech.EDU (Richard Dervan) (12/03/87)

In article <2808@sphinx.uchicago.edu>, z7m8@sphinx.uchicago.edu (ari shlomo zymelman) writes:

> I have recently saved a bunch of uuencoded files off the network.
> I then have extracted them using uudecode.  This then leaves me
> with a binary arc format file.  I have then downloaded this file
> using Kermit from the Pyramid (on which I access the network) to
> my AT&T 6300 running DOS 2.11.  When I go to dearc the files,
> though, I get a CRC error.  This has happened consistently over
> at least three arc files sent in uuencode format.  Any suggestions?
>
> -- Ari Zymelman

There is a program floating around somewhere in net-land that will allow
you to download the .uue file to your pc and then uudecode it into a
working file.  Our pyramid system here only supports 7 bit file transfers
so it has been a Godsend for me.  You may be able to find it on the
comp.binaries.ibmpc group.  If not, drop me a line and I'll mail it to
you.  It also includes a routine to uuencode a file before uploading to a
system.

-Richard Dervan

--
Richard Dervan - Office of Computing Services
uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!ccoprrd