[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Seeking bridge program

feg@clyde.UUCP (11/30/87)

For a friend who is a local BBS sysop I am posting his request
for a program capable to connecting two PC's together for
communications using RS232c.  His need is to be able to load up a large
150 mb hard disk. Two program names he suggested are:
     BROOKLYN
     PARTNR11
Since this is a limited utility, please email any information you
can supply.  Thanks.

Forrest Gehrke

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (12/02/87)

In article <17617@clyde.ATT.COM> feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) writes:
>For a friend who is a local BBS sysop I am posting his request
>for a program capable to connecting two PC's together for
>communications using RS232c.  His need is to be able to load up a large
>150 mb hard disk. Two program names he suggested are:
>     BROOKLYN
>     PARTNR11

I've become quite fond of Laplink from Traveling Software.
In turbo mode, it zips files across at something like 130Kbaud (or
somewhere thereabouts).  It costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $125.
Well worth the price if you need to move files between two computers
relatively quickly without resorting to a LAN or sneaker-net.

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Faculty Development Program
UUCP:		{ihnp4,uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (12/03/87)

As long as you can use a serial port on each end, and this is a one-
time application, why not just use Kermit, ProComm, or whatever other
standard file transfer program you have on hand?  I thought the Brooklyn
Bridge used the parallel ports for communications.  You shouldn't need
anything special for basic file transfer.

			Mike Berger
			Center for Advanced Study
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

zinzow@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (12/03/87)

Speaking of Kermit, I've written a takefile generator that you run on
the source machine to generate a script in kermit that transfers the
entire hard disk unatended.  Write to me at MARKZ@UIUCVMD.BITNET or
markz@uiucvmd.cso.uiuc.edu if you would like a copy.  (Basically it
is just an MS-DOS type recursive ls that spits out remote host mkdir
and send commands for each directory.)  When using MS-DOS kermit at
38K baud with long packets it is very near the commercial programs in
efficency.

paul@crash.UUCP (12/04/87)

I understood it to be that he was looking for a way to xfer the contents
of one hard drive to another over the serial port taking care of subdirs
and all.  If so, I know of  a couple such programs.  Can some one clear this
up?

----                                                                      ----
Paul Palacios  UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!portnoy!paul
POBox 842,(CA) INET: paul@portnoy.cts.com              VOICE: wk:(619)458-0230
Bonita, 92002  ARPA: crash!portnoy!paul@nosc.mil              hm:(619)420-5776
--
Paul Palacios  UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!portnoy!paul
POBox 842,(CA) INET: paul@portnoy.cts.com              VOICE: wk:(619)458-0230
Bonita, 92002  ARPA: crash!portnoy!paul@nosc.mil              hm:(619)420-5776

ward@chinet.UUCP (Ward Christensen-) (12/05/87)

You asked for a way to move many many meg of data between two machines
using RS-232, and mentioned a couple "program names", BROOKLYN and
PARTNR11.  (I am concerned that a program "named" BROOKLYN might be
a rip-off of a commercial product...)
  I use two different products, Brooklyn Bridge, from White Crane
Systems, Suite 151, 6889 Peachtree Ind. Blvd, Norcross GA 30092,
(404) 454-7911; or Lap Link, from Travelling Software, North Creek Corporate
Center, 19310 North Creek Pkwy, Bothell WA, 98011.
  You asked for email replies due to the limited nature of your request,
yet I feel everyone with two computers - even if they have the same kind of
diskette drives (i.e. 3.5 <-> 5.25 is not the issue) should have one of these
programs!  They are of course MOST usable when you DON'T have compatible
disks.
  Brooklyn Bridge supplies a device driver for one machine, and an executable
program for the other.  The second machine then becomes a disk controller
to the first.  The only restriction is that the controllING machine must be
able to support the drives on the controllED machine - i.e. you can't control
a 30M hard disk with 16 bit FATS from a DOS 2.1 machine that only understands
12 bit FATS.  If the systems are at the same level of DOS, no problem.
  LapLink is a friendly full-screen file moving program, to move files between
two machines.  It is also much more than than, combining the features of a
program like XTREE with the ability to run across two machines.
  How do you choose between the two?  Well, not on price - both list for $129
and come with short multi-plug RS-232 cables; you choose by function:
BB allows more flexibility such as being able to run programs across the
link, do file compares between systems, etc.  The remote system's drives
simply become additional drive letters on your local system.  I use this on
a daily basis to connect my Toshiba T1100+ to a 3270/PC at work (basically
an XT with a hyperactive keyboard).  With BB I can edit with the T1100+
keyboard, accessing files on the "XT".  (couldn't if the XT were the 20M
one, since the Toshiba DOS 2.11 couldn't understand the disk format).
  LL on the other hand, requires less setup (no modification of config.sys,
no need for the systems to be active at boot time of the config.sys containing
one).  But it it limited to copying files.
  Thus they both have their strengths.
  P.S. Both run at 115Kbaud (9600 x 12).  I have been able to run both over
about 50' of really kludgy wire.
  Further questions/comments may be addressed to me at
  ihnp4!chinet!ward - as I don't get a chance to keep up with netnews very
often.

paul@crash.cts.com (Paul Palacios) (12/06/87)

There exists copy programs that do everything from single files to entire
tree structures from disk to disk as well as over the serial port.  One in
particular is KCOPY.  This program has been released by Kaypro Corp. and
has been shipped with their DOS product line for a long time now.  Yes, I
understand that you may be lookin for public domain software, but that is
just one example I can recall of the top of my head.

I have seen several, but it's been a while.  If I can jog my memory, I'll post
the information.