[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Undocumented software incompatibilites

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (12/06/87)

In article <1802@cup.portal.com> Isaac_K_Rabinovitch@cup.portal.com writes:
>Bob_Robert_Brody@cup.portal.com writes:
>->Fact is, there are far more problems with the stupid RLL than with
>->FASTBACK.  You should get your assault straight.  The culprit is the
>->RLL, not FASTBACK.  Use 'real' hardware and you'll find FASTBACK works
>->just fine.
>[...]
>the onus is on Fastback's publishers to either make the product
>work safely on RLL drives or make it clear that it shouldn't be used with
>them.

This is an all too common problem.

Recently I purchased SoftLogic's Disk Optimizer (an unfragmenting
utility) in order to unfragment our Micropolis 85Mb drive.

When the utility arrived, I happily unwrapped it, read the manual
(nicely written), installed it (nice installation system), ran their
analyze program to see just how bad my disk was (ran great, nice job).
I then brought our system into single-user mode (we have neat hardware
:-) and ran the optimizer.

The optimizer went through a variety of simple questions and began.
It immediately stopped and reported that my disk did not hae 512-byte
sectors.  No kidding, I thought, it has 2048 byte sectors.  Big deal.

I called SoftLogic to find out what I could do about it.  "Reformat
using 512 byte sectors."  Not bloody likely; it was done the way it
was for a reason.

I ended up sending the program back for a refund.  Their refund policy
is interesting.  There is a restock charge, so you never get all your
money back.  I was somewhat perturbed at having to pay this because
NOWHERE IN THEIR ADS OR DOCUMENTATION WAS THERE ANYTHING STATING THAT
YOUR DRIVE MUST HAVE 512 BYTE SECTORS.  The error message wasn't even
in the book!  It cost me postage and restock charges for a program
that wouldn't work with the hardware and that I had no way of telling
it would not work prior to purchase.

Moral:  Don't trust anything.  If you have odd hardware (ie anything
at all that isn't standard), ask ahead of time whether or not it will
work and be sure that you get some sort of guarantee that it will work
on your system before you purchase it.  You'll save yourself hassles
and money.

I would be interested in other horror stories that came about because
the software company failed to mention that their program wouldn't
work on a particular configuration.

BTW, if you have a 512-byte sector drive, I would highly recommend
this program.  It is extremely well done and their support was fast
and efficient.  Too bad that they didn't tell anyone that their
program requires 512 byte sectors, though.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu