[comp.sys.ibm.pc] external 5.25 in drive

john@cooper.cooper.EDU (John Barkaus) (11/24/87)

Hi,
	My friend has a PS2 model 30 with two 3.5 inch drives.  He bought
an external 5.25 inch IBM drive.  The instructions for installing it require
disconnecting drive B.  The cable for drive B is used to connect to the
adapter for the external drive.  This leaves the B drive unconnected and
useless.  Does anyone have any ideas about how it may be possible to have
all three drives connected at one time??
	Thank you.

 <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
 <>                                                                      <>
 <>   To:John Barkaus                                                    <>
 <>   At:The Cooper Union for        ihnp4!philabs!phri!cooper!john      <>
 <>      the Advancement of                       ||                     <>
 <>      Science and Art               "phri!cooper!john"@nyu.arpa       <>
 <>                                                                      <>
 <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

hundt@wind.UUCP (11/25/87)

In article <1130@cooper.cooper.EDU> john@cooper.UUCP writes:
>My friend has a PS2 model 30 with two 3.5 inch drives.  He bought
>an external 5.25 inch IBM drive...instructions require disconnecting drive B.
>The cable for drive B is used to connect to the...external drive.
>This leaves the B drive unconnected and useless.

This makes me laugh... (at IBM, not you John)
I think I'll wait a while before buying PS/2.  :-)
(I'm sure there is a solution, though.)

 /-^-\  Thomas M. Hundt / BELLCORE Morristown NJ / hundt@bellcore.bellcore.com
 |   |  {seismo|ihnp4|ucbvax|decvax|ulysses|allegra|clyde}!bellcore!hundt
/--_--\

selmer@wheaton.UUCP (11/29/87)

In article <1130@cooper.cooper.EDU> john@cooper.cooper.EDU (John Barkaus) writes:
>Hi,
>	My friend has a PS2 model 30 with two 3.5 inch drives.  He bought
>an external 5.25 inch IBM drive.  The instructions for installing it require
>disconnecting drive B.  The cable for drive B is used to connect to the
>adapter for the external drive.  This leaves the B drive unconnected and
>useless.  Does anyone have any ideas about how it may be possible to have
>all three drives connected at one time??
>	Thank you.
> <>   To:John Barkaus                                                    <>
> <>   At:The Cooper Union for        ihnp4!philabs!phri!cooper!john      <>

I have the exact same problem.
It would be nice to have that hooked up so
that I could move my programs from 5.25 inch to 3.5 inch without opening up
the cover.

   If anyone has a solution please send me a copy too.

    Thanks in advance,

     selmer

ihnp4!wheaton!selmer

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (12/02/87)

In article <1130@cooper.cooper.EDU> john@cooper.cooper.EDU (John Barkaus) writes:
<	My friend has a PS2 model 30 with two 3.5 inch drives.  He bought
<an external 5.25 inch IBM drive.  The instructions for installing it require
<disconnecting drive B.  The cable for drive B is used to connect to the
<adapter for the external drive.  This leaves the B drive unconnected and
<useless.  Does anyone have any ideas about how it may be possible to have
<all three drives connected at one time??

First off this may already be answered, but I am behind in reading this
newsgroup.

Anyway, as far as I understand it (we have said machine and said tech manual)
the PS/2 Model 50 only understands two floppy drives, period.

If it does understand more, I too would like to know about it.
--
	       harvard-\	       ihnp4--\
Mr. Video               !uwvax.................!nicmad!brown

ugfailau@sunybcs.uucp (Fai Lau) (12/02/87)

In article <2174@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>In article <1130@cooper.cooper.EDU> john@cooper.cooper.EDU (John Barkaus) writes:
>< ....
><adapter for the external drive.  This leaves the B drive unconnected and
><useless.  Does anyone have any ideas about how it may be possible to have
><all three drives connected at one time??
>
>Anyway, as far as I understand it (we have said machine and said tech manual)
>the PS/2 Model 50 only understands two floppy drives, period.
>
>If it does understand more, I too would like to know about it.

	The 30 though, does unders
tand more than 2 drives. I've
seen it, even tough I'm not how it's connected. Just don't
give up. I'll see if I can find out more.

filler, filler night!:-)
filler
filler
filler
filler
filler
Fai  Lau
SUNY at Buffalo (The Arctic Wonderland)
UUCP: ..{mit-ems|watmath|rocksanne}!sunybcs!ugfailau
BI: ugfailau@sunybcs

pgil@sphinx.UUCP (12/07/87)

In article <2174@nicmad.UUCP>, brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
> In article <1130@cooper.cooper.EDU> john@cooper.cooper.EDU (John Barkaus) writes:
> <	My friend has a PS2 model 30 with two 3.5 inch drives.  He bought
> <an external 5.25 inch IBM drive.  The instructions for installing it require
> <disconnecting drive B.  The cable for drive B is used to connect to the
> <adapter for the external drive.  This leaves the B drive unconnected and
> <useless....
>
> Anyway, as far as I understand it (we have said machine and said tech manual)
> the PS/2 Model 50 only understands two floppy drives, period.

Probably true but: The Computer Spectrum, 505 16th Street, Aurora, Nebraska
68818 (402) 694-4707 provides a nifty little cable which splits the data
and control lines between the internal 3.5" drive and their external 5.25"
drive (AT HD drives also available).  This allows both drives to be used,
but only one at a time.  (The usual disclaimer applies--I've no connection
with them except as a satisfied customer having used their ext. 3.5" drive
on my AT)
	Mike Markowitz
	1625 South Fairview
	Information Conversion Services
	Park Ridge, IL  60068
	(312) 266-8378

--
UUCP: ...!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pgil,   BITNET: pgil@sphinx.UChicago.edu
Analogue: (312) 702-6971                VOICE:  Hullo, um, is Paul there?