[comp.sys.ibm.pc] anyone have info on "multilink"?

iis@iisat.UUCP (12/03/87)

i am trying to locate information on a program called mutlilink. i have
heard that it permits one to run software on an ibm from a remote (dumb)
terminal. is this correct? does anyone know of other software that will
accomplish the same? any and all help would be appreciated. thank you.

paul gauthier.

--
Internation Information Service (open account)
UUCP:  {uunet utai watmath} !dalcs!iisat!iis

jpp@slxsys.specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (12/08/87)

In article <167@iisat.UUCP> iis@iisat.UUCP (Paul Gauthier) writes:
>i am trying to locate information on a program called mutlilink. i have
>heard that it permits one to run software on an ibm from a remote (dumb)
>terminal. is this correct? does anyone know of other software that will
>accomplish the same? any and all help would be appreciated. thank you.

Multilink will allow several serial screens to run dos programs.

More info from:
	The Software Link
	3577 Parkway Lane
	Atlanta  GA 30092
	(404) 448 5465

They also have a product call PC-MOS that does the same thing on
386 boxes.

Other software that lets you run multi user dos includes QNX,
Concurrent DOS (from Digital Research - remember CP/M :-),
Xenix (vp/ix comming soon), Unix V (ISC and Microport, with
vp/ix and locus merge respectivly).

Disclaimer: I don't sell any of the above - just write serial
driver's for them - not easy in some cases :-(

--
John Pettitt - 144.5 MHz: G6KCQ, CIX: jpettitt,  Voice: +44 1 398 9422
UUCP:  ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!pyrltd!slxsys!jpp  (jpp@slxsys.specialix.co.uk)

kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) (12/10/87)

In article <167@iisat.UUCP>, iis@iisat.UUCP (Public Net Access) writes:

> i am trying to locate information on a program called mutlilink. i have
> heard that it permits one to run software on an ibm from a remote (dumb)
> terminal. is this correct? does anyone know of other software that will
> accomplish the same? any and all help would be appreciated. thank you.
>
> paul gauthier.
>
> --
> Internation Information Service (open account)
> UUCP:  {uunet utai watmath} !dalcs!iisat!iis

The Multilink and its big brother Multilink Advanced (I believe that's
what it is called) are Canadian products (Toronto based I think). It
(at least the little brother, Multilink does) allows you to access the PC
via the serial port using a dumb terminal. Also, Multilink is a time-sharing
system that it allows you to switch between 9 jobs (one foreground, and 8
background). I have not use it myself but have seen it in action. It is
painfully slow on a PC/XT; you need to have either a turbo-XT or an AT.

I have seen ads for it when I am not paying much attention (8-). If you are
still interested, I can see what I have in my pile of magazines.

Peter
Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-8528

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, I'm only a physicist.
            Don't quote me on anything! I speak only for myself.

Opus: "Why, fer cryin' out loud..research physicists need Porsches, TOO!!"

						 -- Bloom County