[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Suggestions for a sick hard drive?

dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) (12/11/87)

After a small jar, my two year old Seagate ST240 makes strange whining
sounds (about every five minutes, lasting for 30 seconds or so).  I've
heard so many stories about Seagates dying on people, that I'm terrified
the same is about to happen to me.

Is there anything I can do (without spending a lot of money) to prevent this
sucker from dying?  I can't afford any extensive repair costs or down time.
I realize I'm probably lucky to have a Seagate last this long, but I'd really
appreciate any help I can get in extending it's life further....

Nervously,

-dalegass@dalcs

owen@gt-eedsp.UUCP (Owen Adair) (12/11/87)

In article <226@dalcsug.UUCP> dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) writes:
>After a small jar, my two year old Seagate ST240 makes strange whining
>sounds (about every five minutes, lasting for 30 seconds or so).  I've

Not to worry, most likely. The problem is a grounding strap on the bottom
of the drive from the circuit board to the spindle motor. The strap wears
to the point of resonance and vibrates, making an awful noise. The solu-
tion temporarily is to bend or unsolder the strap, moving it slightly.
This will create a 'new' position for the strap to wear itself.
Personally, I remove the strap. It is intended for static discharge, but after
3 years on several drive, I haven't had any wierd problems. The purists
will wince at this suggestion, but it will rid you of the squeal permanently.

Good Luck.....

--
Owen Adair, WD4FSU
Digital Signal Processing Lab, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332