[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Floppy drives on an XT/AT

mshiels@orchid.UUCP (12/09/87)

I am interested if anyone has solutions to the following configurations.

XT CLone
360K drive 5 1/4"
360K drive 3 1/2"
720K drive 3 1/2" same drive as above but using the DRIVER.SYS you get another
                  letter

Now how can we add a 1.2Meg AT type drive and is there any way to hook up a
1.44Meg 3 1/2" drive (the new ones?)??

--
  Michael A. Shiels (MaS Network Software)
  mshiels@orchid.waterloo.EDU

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (12/12/87)

In article <12124@orchid.waterloo.edu>, mshiels@orchid.waterloo.edu (Michael A. Shiels) writes:

> XT CLone
> 360K drive 5 1/4"
> 360K drive 3 1/2"
> 720K drive 3 1/2" same drive as above but using the DRIVER.SYS you get another
>                   letter
>
> Now how can we add a 1.2Meg AT type drive and is there any way to hook up a
> 1.44Meg 3 1/2" drive (the new ones?)??

Because of the speed of an XT it is not possible to drive a
1.2 meg or 1.44 meg drive from the existing controller.  You will
need to buy a special controller (I suggest the Compaticard from
MicroSolutions - 815-756-3411).

If you are using PC or MS-DOS 3.2 you may make the 3 1/2" drive
drive B by using the following command instead of driver.sys
  drivparm=/d:1/f:2

Good Luck!
William Wilson

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (12/12/87)

Your question isn't clear.  Do you need a schematic, device driver
information, or information on a new floppy disk controller?

			Mike Berger
			Center for Advanced Study
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger