[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS-DOS: What's going on?

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (12/11/87)

Latest Update...

Microsoft says that MS-DOS 3.3 is last version ... Flatly denies report
in PC-Week saying that 3.4 and 3.5 are in the works ... At the same time,
Microsoft C compile checks to see if you are running MS-DOS 4.0, and if
you are, it reports an error message.

MS-DOS 4.0 to be available in foreign countries.

MS-DOS 3.31 delevoped jointly be Compaq and Microsoft.

IBM insists that OS/2 is THE operating system.

Still, though, I do not have any sure evidence of what is going on with
MS-DOS.  If anyone has any additional information, I'm all ears.

luis@grinch.UUCP (luis) (12/13/87)

In article <1670@bsu-cs.UUCP> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
[...]
>IBM insists that OS/2 is THE operating system.
>

>Still, though, I do not have any sure evidence of what is going on with
>MS-DOS.  If anyone has any additional information, I'm all ears.

OS/2 will run PC-DOS 3.3 software, but not multi-tasking...  OS/2 has
two parts to it, PC-DOS 3.3 compatible and Full Function Mode..  PC-DOS
3.3 is list like it sounds...  But, the Full Function side of OS/2 is
what you know OS/2 as being..  That is the multi-tasking part of the
OS...  It will not be able to run any software currently on the market
which is not written for the Full Function Mode...

I don't know if I was too clear on what I was trying to say, but if there
is anything which I can help you with, please let me know... I will try to
answer anything I can on OS/2, but I am no expert...

Luis Chanu  /  Awesome Possum         "Live every day as if it were your last,
                                         because one day you will be right."
UUCP: ...ihnp4!sun!aeras!grinch!luis                            -Benny Hill
UUCP: ...pyramid!wjvax!grinch!luis
              Disk-Claimer: That's not your disk, that's my disk.