[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Multi-Window Terminal Emulator

wade@lll-ati.arpa (Michael E. Wade) (12/11/87)

In article <2737@mcdchg.UUCP> usenet@mcdchg.UUCP (Usenet Admin) writes:
>I'm dreaming of a multi-window terminal emulation system for a PC
>connected via modem to a Unix system.  The user sitting at the PC would
>be able to maintain a terminal session in each of the windows,
>switching back and forth between them as desired.  Ideally, multiple
>windows could be displayed simultaneously and the contents of a window
>could be updated if output occurred in it even while input was being
>typed to a different window.  The idea is for something with the feel
>of Suntools.
>
>As I imagine it, such an emulation system would need to consist of a
>program to run on the PC and a program to run under Unix, forking off
>processes for each of the windows in the emulation.
>
>Does anybody know of anything resembling this?  Any comments on either
>my dream or my idea of how it might work?

This certainly sounds like UW which runs between an Atari ST or a Mac, and a
unix host.

-MEW
Michael E. Wade
Control Data Corporation
ARPA: wade@lll-tis.arpa
UUCP: {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg,lll-lcc,mordor}!lll-tis!wade

tony@killer.UUCP (Tony Holden) (12/11/87)

in article <21875@lll-tis.arpa>, wade@lll-ati.arpa (Michael E. Wade) says:

> In article <2737@mcdchg.UUCP> usenet@mcdchg.UUCP (Usenet Admin) writes:
>>I'm dreaming of a multi-window terminal emulation system for a PC
>>connected via modem to a Unix system.  The user sitting at the PC would
>>be able to maintain a terminal session in each of the windows,
>>switching back and forth between them as desired.  Ideally, multiple
>>windows could be displayed simultaneously and the contents of a window
>>could be updated if output occurred in it even while input was being
>>typed to a different window.  The idea is for something with the feel
>>of Suntools.
>>
>>As I imagine it, such an emulation system would need to consist of a
>>program to run on the PC and a program to run under Unix, forking off
>>processes for each of the windows in the emulation.
>>
>>Does anybody know of anything resembling this?  Any comments on either
>>my dream or my idea of how it might work?
>>
> This certainly sounds like UW which runs between an Atari ST or a Mac, and a
> unix host.

Actually there is such a system for PC's like Michael wanted.

Structured Solutions
4031 W Plano Pkwy
STE. 205
Plano, Tx. 75075
214-985-9901

It is a program that runs on the Unix boxso that any terminal can have up to 10
windows.  The windows are akin to SCO screens on the console, complete new
screens for every window.

But they have they own terminal program for the PC that will let you have
overlapping windows.

I just happened to go and see them yesterday.  It sure runs a lot faster than
SCO Multview, anyone want to buy a copy of Multiview?

Tony Holden
ihnp4!killer!tony

dunn@ihlpf.ATT.COM (12/15/87)

>In article <2737@mcdchg.UUCP> usenet@mcdchg.UUCP (Usenet Admin) writes:
>>I'm dreaming of a multi-window terminal emulation system for a PC
>>connected via modem to a Unix system.  The user sitting at the PC would

What you want sounds a lot like "Layers" which we use here at Bell Labs.
It runs under the 5620 terminal, but there is an internal (?) version
available which runs on the AT&T 6300 series of PCs (IBM compatible).
You can open up many windows, each of which is a UNIX shell. Of course,
there is the companion software that runs on the mainframe. I don't know if
its available commercially, but you might want to check with your nearest
AT&T Information Systems rep.
		Bill Dunn
		ihnp4!ihlpf!dunn