[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Virus program warning

forags@violet.berkeley.edu (12/02/87)

The following warning is excerpted from comp.risks:

Newsgroups: comp.risks
Date: 1 Dec 87 04:40:06 GMT

  Subj:	Virus warning!
  Date: Mon, 23 Nov 87 08:05:57 EST
  From: "Kenneth R. van Wyk" <@vms.cis.pittsburgh.edu:LUKEN@LEHIIBM1.BITNET>

  Last week, some of our student consultants discovered a virus program
  that's been spreading rapidly throughout Lehigh University.  I thought
  I'd take a few minutes and warn as many of you as possible about this
  program since it has the chance of spreading much farther than just our
  University.  We have no idea where the virus started, but some users have
  told me that other universities have recently had similar probems.

  The virus: the virus itself is contained in the stack space of COMMAND.COM.
  When a pc is booted from an infected disk, all a user need do to spread
  the virus is to access another disk via TYPE, COPY, DIR, etc.  If the
  other disk contains COMMAND.COM, the virus code is copied to the other
  disk.  Then, a counter is incremented on the parent.  When this counter
  reaches a value of 4, any and every disk in the PC is erased thoroughly.
  The boot tracks are nulled, as are the FAT tables, etc.  All Norton's
  horses couldn't put it back together again...  :-)  This affects both floppy
  and hard disks.  Meanwhile, the four children that were created go on
  to tell four friends, and then they tell four friends, and so on, and so on.

  Detection: while this virus appears to be very well written, the author
  did leave behind a couple footprints.  First, the write date of the
  command.com changes.  Second, if there's a write protect tab on an
  uninfected disk, you will get a WRITE PROTECT ERROR...  So, boot up from
  a suspected virus'd disk and access a write protected disk - if an
  error comes up, then you're sure.  Note that the length of command.com
  does not get altered.

  I urge anyone who comes in contact with publicly accessible (sp?) disks
  to periodically check their own disks.  Also, exercise safe computing -
  always wear a write protect tab.  :-)

  This is not a joke.  A large percentage of our public site disks has
  been gonged by this virus in the last couple days.

  Kenneth R. van Wyk, User Services Senior Consultant,
  Lehigh University Computing Center   (215)-758-4988
  <LUKEN@LEHIIBM1.BITNET>  <LUKEN@VAX1.CC.LEHIGH.EDU>

Al Stangenberger, Dept. of Forestry, Univ. of Calif. Berkeley
forags@violet.berkeley.edu
uucp:  ucbvax!ucbviolet!forags

awylie@pyr1.cs.ucl.ac.uk (12/09/87)

Presumably it would be relatively easy to modify the virus program to
make it into an 'antibody' which would automatically overwrite the
virus on any infected floppy which was used on the PC.

Andrew Wylie

awylie@uk.ac.ucl.cs

ugfailau@sunybcs.uucp (Fai Lau) (12/15/87)

In article <39500004@pyr1.cs.ucl.ac.uk> awylie@pyr1.cs.ucl.ac.uk writes:

>Presumably it would be relatively easy to modify the virus program to
>make it into an 'antibody' which would automatically overwrite the
>virus on any infected floppy which was used on the PC.

	And modifies every infected floppy into an 'antibody',
which would in turn modifies all other infected floppies it
encounters into 'antibody's.

	Aren't we having fun yet?!?!?8-r

Fai  Lau
SUNY at Buffalo (The Arctic Wonderland)